I Know This Is LRH... But What Is The Shortest Distance You Have Taken A Live Target?

I've taken two deer with a truck. I had to get pretty close. 😀

Aside from that 20- 30 yards. A couple deer with a bow and one at about 30 with a muzzleloader.

I had a bull elk come into my calls at 5 yds, but he wasn't legal. It was pretty intense though!
I tell my friends who have never archery hunted or had an elk that close that you can sleep after sex, but you don't sleep when you've had an elk at 20 yards. Buddy called me up last fall after missing an elk with his bow, and first words out of his mouth were you were right. I couldn't sleep after that.

My shortest shots on big game are around 10 yards. Put the sneak on a speed goat when I was 14 with my dad during the rut. Got about 10 yards away when he popped up in some tall sage brush. Shot and everything happened so fast I thought I missed. My dad started whooping and hollering that I got it. My best speed goat to this day. Shot an elk at about 10 yards as well. Walked into a clearing I was sitting in watching the sidehill across the canyon. The year I got my first long range rifle all set up I ended up shooting my deer about 10 yards. Friend spooked it over the ridge and I startled it, and it stopped and gave me a shot.

Was working on selling a vehicle we had sitting by the road. Out of the trees a family of 8 skunks emerged. Ran to dads house(closer house) and grabbed a shotgun. Only found two shells but two skunks went down as they crossed the highway. Out came my lucky NAA Black Widow and got another 3 with that at almost point blank range due to the mid thigh high grass. Well by this time I had taken more than enough perfume pummeling so the last 2 I could find got the River dance treatment. Walked home and was forced to strip in front of the garage. I mixed up a batch of my dogs skunk treatment(baking soda, dawn, peroxide) and gave myself a driveway bath before I was allowed in the house to shower. At least the dogs didn't find them🤷🏻‍♂️. That is the most involved skunk story I have. Unfortunately I have many more where I striped in front of my garage. 🙄

Good gracious. I cannot imagine how bad that smelled. I had to shoot one in a live trap.a couple years ago and my backyard stunk for two months

18" on small buck. Was squirrel hunting my old farm in Pinetown, NC in the swamp. Sitting with my back to a tree, shotgun on my lap, barrel facing to my left. Waiting for a squirrel to move in the trees out in front of me. I heard something coming from behind me and a young buck stepped out right beside me, I could have grabbed his front right leg. His head and shoulders were at my knees, so I slowly lifted my shotgun barrel and let a load of 2 3/4" #8's go into his neck/shoulder joint. He never moved, other than dropping. My buddies gave me a hard time for shooting "maybe the largest squirrel of the day".

I head shot a downed white tail with a WFN from a 500 smith lever gun at about 5'. Sprayed the head contents all over my partner's truck that he drove up behind me. I was so focused on the deer that I didnt hear him until he yelled "ugh!" when he got plastered with brains!

A 4x4 White Tail buck at 6 inches from the muzzle of my 264wm. I was moving slowly through young fir trees wearing wool cloths after a rain following a set of tracks, as I came to a clearing I looked down and this buck was bedded down right at my feet, he never knew I was there and the shot was at the base of the head. That was a once in a life time shot never to be forgotten.