I just want to make the best ammo I can.

GW Hunter

Down the rabbit hole again...
New CA Traverse in .280 AI w/Saami chamber
diameter of load case with Barnes TTSX is .309
diameter of fired case is .314
diameter of resized case using Redding FL die and carbide expander ball is .307 with case runout from <.001 - .004

I've read the countless threads of using the expander ball and not using the expander ball and FL sizing vs neck sizing and using bushing dies or standard dies. I always end up at the same place.... which is where I was before I started.

So right now I have one question. Would it beneficial to not use the expander ball and use an expander die to end up with less case runout? I do not want to get into neck turning. I'm not interested in shooting 1000 yards at game. I just want to end up with the straightest case I can before I get to the bullet seating portion of the process.

I take my expander out of my Redding dies. I then size to bump shoulder slightly only if need and resize neck with Redding Competitiom shell holders. I then run them through a Wilson Madrel die with a Tin Neck Mandrel (.002) with some Redding Neck Lube.

Works great for me anyway. I'm sure some of the more experienced and better Reloader's will be alone shortly.

Good Luck,
Steve

I've beat myself half stupid, and been in your shoes. This is what I've turned to, it works, run out is very good, and accuracy is much more consistent, and tension on bullet is way better, less growth.
I removed expander ball on rcbs die.
First step. Run brass through Lee collet neck sizer. Adjusted to the John Valentine method. (Google it).
Then, run it through the full length die, to correct body, and bump. Depending on the brass, the die might contact the neck, but usually not, remember, it was just neck sized. The neck sizer will take care of decapping. You can adjust neck tension if need be, by polishing mandrel, or buying undersize one from Lee.
It works for me, and I've always struggled with this
Also, consider annealing.
Take care, All, be safe!🦌
Note. If too much contact with neck, in full length die, it can be drilled out. In my cases, contact was minimal.
There's afew other well known members here that share this practice. That's where I got it from. Good luck!

I don't shoot nearly as far nor as accurately as many who post here. But virtually all of my rifles will shoot sub .5moa and many will regularly do so at 400yds, where I do most of my load work up.

All of my ammo for bottle necked cases are FL sized in Redding Type S FL bushing dies. They are very easy to use and produce ammo that meets or exceeds my expectations. I don't really go to extraneous measures to produce consistent ammo but do follow typical brass prep uniforming procedures. This has always been sufficient for my needs.
FWIW - all of my rifles are used for hunting and non are shot competitively.

I use standard Hornady, RCBS, and Redding dies. I remove the expander ball. I full length size with .002 shoulder bump. I decap with the seating die or a Lee Decapping die. Then I set neck tension with a Sinclair mandrel die with mandrels .002 under bullet diameter. This gives me around .0025 of neck tension after the brass springs back. That's how I've been sizing my brass for a few months now and I feel it's improved my shooting and consistency. I know for one thing, it feels so much better when sizing with the mandrel compared to the expander ball. When I seat bullets they all feel super smooth and all feel the same. Before I would get some inconsistent feel when seating bullets.

I also use Redding Type S FL dies without the expander ball. and Sinclair turning Mandrel to set neck tension. However the trick to using a expander ball in the bushing die is to lube the inside of the case and only use enough bushing until the expander ball just kisses the inside of the neck as it comes out.

You can get the Sinclair mandrel die for like $35 and stainless mandrels are only like $15 a piece. The carbide ones are more, but don't require neck lube to size.

I run the Redding type S FL dies, as they come. Bump the shoulder .002 and anneal every firing with an AMP. Accuracy is good, maybe not benchrest comp good, but good for the application. .25" groups are great, but rarely do you see that in a field environment.

I use standard Hornady, RCBS, and Redding dies. I remove the expander ball. I full length size with .002 shoulder bump. I decap with the seating die or a Lee Decapping die. Then I set neck tension with a Sinclair mandrel die with mandrels .002 under bullet diameter. This gives me around .0025 of neck tension after the brass springs back. That's how I've been sizing my brass for a few months now and I feel it's improved my shooting and consistency. I know for one thing, it feels so much better when sizing with the mandrel compared to the expander ball. When I seat bullets they all feel super smooth and all feel the same. Before I would get some inconsistent feel when seating bullets.
How did you get a Sinclair mandrel at .002 under? I only see them at .001 under.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.