I Just Joined The 500 Yard Handgun Club!

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Late yesterday I took a whitetail at 501 yards during the "antlerless gun season" that follows the regular gun season here in Wisconsin.

As I said in Kirby's thread:

This was in a county where you can't hunt deer with a rifle. So 99.9% of the other guys use a shotgun or black powder.

I get a big kick out of legally hunting deer with a gun that kills them several hundred yards farther than all those other guys. :cool:

Not many details on the hunt......

Lets have the story there. By the way, congrats, that is a heck of a shot with a handgun. Hope she is performing as you expected.

Kirby Allen(50)

Len,
I hope you didn't forget the camera.
GREAT SHOT! I'm glad to hear that there's another handgun hunter here in WI.
If you're not totally satisfied with your handgun I'll trade you the 260 XP. ;-)))
I hope to get my Striker put together and Duracoated this weekend and have it ready for coyotes for next weekend.

Take care,
Mike

Not much to tell, really. I hit it a little bit high, broke the back and needed a 2nd shot. Windage of 1.75 MOA right was perfect. I don't take photos of antlerless deer.

Only saw one deer this afternoon...an 8 pt buck. I have 3 more days to hunt. Wind direction isn't good for scent control tomorrow...better on Sunday.

Yotefever, I'll be down to let you try it out in a couple weeks.

Congrats!! It takes a very steady hand and fine equipment to make such a shot. I have an XP-100R in 260 remington with a burris 3x12. I had a buck that I could not shoot because of lease rules at 460 yards and played with the handgun to see what the shot would look like. I did not get into a position that I felt I could have pulled the trigger. I will need to work on that.

We need more details. Caliber, bullet, scope, ranging equipment, and rest would be good to know.

You can read about my rig HERE. I use a Bushnell Elite 1500 range finder. Cauterucio 141 grain VLD bullet. A thimble full of H1000.

Congratulations Len on a great shot.
Here in MI the S zone is shotgun, blk powder, or straight wall handgun.

I am really starting to get an itch for an XP-100 thanks (I think?) to guys like you. Your XP-100 is one sweet looking setup.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.