i have a few ? on the Amax bullets

bigrich954rr

im going on a deer hunt soon i could get a close shot like 50 yards or it could be over 1000 you just never know with the area.Trying to pick which gun to take RUM 7mm with nosler partition or my custom 50 shooter Amax bullets. Will the amax hold up on a close shot or will it just blow apart.
i would take the RUM but i just dont think its any good after 600 yards needs a new barrel so if i get a long shot on a great deer i would like to be able to take it. but im worried about a close shot with the amaxs

I have never had any problems with them in a 308, 300 win or my 30 wolf from 15 yards to 1200 on deer they just seem to work every time.

Why not load up two bullets? One for close range, another for LR. There is good chance that scope settings will be very similar.

If not, the AMax is going to be fragile at your elevated velocities at close range. I shoot a 7RM and 162gr Amax but wouldn't use it on any bone shot unless at least 300yds away. I will be using the SST for these distance.

If you are willing to go boiler room or cns shot, the amax will work at all ranges. Just don't ask it to do much penetration until it slows down a bunch.

Jerry

[ QUOTE ]
my custom 50 shooter Amax bullets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, if your talking about a 750gr 50cal Amax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, I dont think youll have to worry about "bullet blowup" or "underpenatration". But thats just me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.