I found an old(60's) 700 BDL .264 Win Mag for $400.

CLP308

I found this old BDL in sad shape in 264 mag cheap. Thinking about fixing it up. Bobby Hart's custom rifles is right up the street. The bore looks good. Is this a rifle that should do well for elk and sheep? I'm not familiar with the caliber. Is it worth a budget build up of a new stock and muzzle break?

I have a couple of 264's I use for all my big game hunting. You will be very happy with the combination of low recoil, flat trajectory, and performance on game. I don't think you will need a muzzle brake unless you just want one. I also think the price is good. You could probably sell the action and bottom metal for $400 on a Rem 700 this old (a lot of gunsmiths and shooters don't like the quality of the newer Remingtons)

That model 700 has a stainless 24" barrel from the factory in an effort to reduce barrel erosion. I know it looks blue, but Remington used some trickery to make it look that way.

The .264 failed early on due to the barrels of the factory rifles being only 24", not long enough for the slow powder needed to optimize the round. It brought little to the table that the .270 didn't already have. In a longer barrel, things would have been a lot different.

Winchester also brought out their model 70 "Westerner" with the same 24" barrel. You may remember their old ad in Outdoor Life magazine back in the '60's:

"It makes one hell of a noise, it packs on hell of a wallop!"

In my opinion, $400 for it is a steal.

With kindest regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.