6PPC......benchrest rifle
6.5x55.....Ruger m77 Hawkeye African
300BO......AR15
30-06.....M1 Garand
300 Sherman....Win 70 custom
300 WSM.....Sav 12 custom
350 Legend....Win XPR
458 Lott....Win 70 custom

I have a Bighorn Origin Long Action on order. I'd like to kill a big game animal at long range with it. Im not generally a fan of big bruiser rifles!

So, where is the gap in my rifle collection? I need the clear vision of an outsider!
280 Ackley Improved or 33 Nosler.

270 win or a win 264 mag with a faster twist to enable heavier or longer copper bullets to be used.
If I'm honest though, why not have a bolt gun in 30/06?

And recoil means what to me? My vote would be to add a Weatherby to the mix. Specifically a 338-378.

One other thing. All of us here at LRH were terribly sorry to hear about your boating accident where you lost all your weapons. Oh well, that will save the government the cost of having to send someone to your house to confiscate all those guns.

Last edited:
Yeah, that boating accident -- a real shame. And so soon after I had the same thing happen to me! And my neighbor too. Gun owners have got to learn how to be more careful around boats.

I have:

22LR.....Ruger custom 10/22
5.56....AR15
6PPC......benchrest rifle
6.5x55.....Ruger m77 Hawkeye African
300BO......AR15
30-06.....M1 Garand
300 Sherman....Win 70 custom
300 WSM.....Sav 12 custom
350 Legend....Win XPR
458 Lott....Win 70 custom

I have a Bighorn Origin Long Action on order. I'd like to kill a big game animal at long range with it. Im not generally a fan of big bruiser rifles!

So, where is the gap in my rifle collection? I need the clear vision of an outsider!
Hard to disagree with 280 AI as probably my first choice, but I'd also consider 270/270AI with 1:8 and some of new heavier .277 bullets coming out now with near max R26. Would have to look also at possibly taking your 6.5x55 to AI (for even more of a good thing) giving you a 6.5-284 equivalent. Decision depends on your definition of "long range" and what animal you're wanting to take at that distance. Seems to me any of the above would help bridge the cartridge gap in your collection (as would those suggested by all the others responding to your query). Great problem to have - have fun with it!

It's funny, but nobody said wait a year and see what you need! I might wait 6mo...still thinking maybe sell the 6.5x55 and find a 6.5x280ai!

I have 2 guns on the way.....2 under development and haven't shot a pistol in months!

Last edited:
6.5 la Sherman run 140gr Bergers 3150fps recoil is not bad at all or run hammers in it. I could run the 140gr up to 3300 safely

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.