Hybrids vs Vlds

oldmossy

I took a dremel and cut a 180 hybrid and a Vld in half. I saw were someone else had done this. I however got different results than the other guy. The two that i cut in half looked the same. The lead came just as far in both bullets. The void between the lead and tip of bullet looked identical. I then did the staple method that was talked about to test hollow points. I put staple in about 15 of each bullet. The depth the staple went in was the same. Best i could tell. The hollow point is larger on hybrid. But thats only difference i seen. Jacket thickness looked the same also. But with cutting tool smearing jacket, i didnt really worry about that. How much thicker is the jackets on the hybrids over the vlds?

The same test will be different on a 180 7mm and the 210 / 215 30 cal. So keep that in mind. The 215 Hybrid has about .400" of space in the tip.

The main difference in the VLD / Hybrid design is not the jacket thickness but the shape of the bullet mainly in the O-give.

For what it is worth in the limited testing I have done with the 7mm 180 VLD and Hybrid I felt the Hybrid expanded quicker and easier. But this is just my initial observations. Some tests were preformed on live media at 500 to 600 yards and the 180 Hybrid flat made a mess of some coyotes. MV was 3175.

Jeff

VLD Target and VLD Hunting are different.

I was told by Berger that the VLD Hunting has thinner jacket thickness than VLD target. Unsure about Hybrid. I believe it is the same thickness as VLD target, I could be wrong.

VLD Target and VLD Hunting are different.

I was told by Berger that the VLD Hunting has thinner jacket thickness than VLD target. Unsure about Hybrid. I believe it is the same thickness as VLD target, I could be wrong.

Yes this is correct, they differ by a few thousands of jacket thickness VLD to HVLD. In my first post I was referring to the difference between the VLD and HYBRID Ogive bullets as in the OP's title.

Thanks
Jeff

That larger tip on the hybrids make them open and hit really hard. Not sure if it is better or not. But I do know that they open. May be the ticket for the guys that can't get the other ones to open to well. Me I feel the bergers that open make stuff really sick so I am all for them.

If you compare a 210 VLD hunting against 210 VLD target, the target has a bigger hole because the jacket is thicker. I believe the hybrid is a target version jacket only. If the hole was smaller on the one bullet I am guessing It is a VLD hunting. I have never taken game with a hybrid but have with a VLD. The VLD Kills and have never had a problem. On my benchrest guns the hunting VLD has shot smaller groups. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.