Berger Hybrids vs Hunting VLDs

oldmossy

I have a question for those guys using the Hybrid bullets by Berger.

I have been using 180 vlds in a 7MM RUM. Pushing them faster than most people say I can.(3275-3300 fps). Getting good accuracy, but would'nt mind it if it was a little better. I'm thinking about trying some 168 hybrids. I'm assuming I can get those in the 3400 fps range also. But before going thru the process of trying to get a new load for my rifle, I was wondering what kind of performance people were getting on animals. Being that killing performance is my #1 priority.

I would appreciate muzzle velocity of your rifle, and actual shot distance on any examples given please.

On a side note- I love the 180s, and have had excellent results on game using these bullets. Due to availabilty on those bullets is why I'm asking this question. But if I can get slightly better accuracy, and similiar results on game(due to the increased velocity), I may do some experimenting.

I just learned from Berger website that they don't even have a 168 hybrid for the .284. Only for the .308. They do however have a target 168. I'm assuming they both have the same jacket thickness. Thus allowing me to try and achieve the extra speed. Just different shapes.
Any one hunted with the target vlds?

I read somewhere the target bullets have a thicker jacket and performance is less predictable. How are you seating the 180's? I seat .010 into the lands and am getting great accuracy with them.

I cant get anywhere close to lands. We are loading so that they will fit into magazine. Factory sendero rifle. 93 grains retumbo. Thought the hybrids would do better after reading they weren't depth sensative.

Fellow LRH member, Broz, has written extensively on his results in the field with .30 cal 215g Hybrids, complete with pictures of the terminal performance and the verified range to target when the shot was taken. The 215's are currently only available in the target bullet line, but are working very well for him.

I believe that the difference between the target and hunting bullets is that the target bullets have thicker jackets. If you are shooting your bullets at RUM level velocities, I would expect the target bullets to do well for you.

BTW, there is a 7mm 168g Classic Hunter, which is a Hybrid designed for use at SAAMI length. I use the .30 cal 185g Classic Hunter in F-Class competition with excellent results, figuring that I could take the same rifle hunting without changing loads.

Cabelas has a classic hybrid advertised. Thats when I realized berger didn't make the 168 hybrid for the .284, when trying to find info on the classic.
I was told I was probably close to max velocity with the vlds, thats why I thought maybe the 168 with the thicker jacket would be ok. I'll check out the info you provided on the hybrids, along with the classics.
Thanks for the replies guys.

There is an article on Bergers site that talks about seating depth and accuracy in hunting rifles.
My Jarrett was built on a Rem 700. I had a Wyatt magazine box installed so I could seat bullets farther out and still feed from the magazine. It's a pretty inexpensive way to extend your seating depth.

Just ordered some 190 matrix. Hope they are in stock. Just about out of the 180 vlds. Got groundhog and crop damage deer videos to make. I'm afraid the 168 vlds just won't hold up to the speeds I'm going to be trying to push them at.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.