Hunting Scope

Jim Hundley

I am in the market for a high end scope to compliment a custom Win. .300 mag.I want a scope that would be good for every situation from Texas to Alaska(Africa).I am considering a Leupold LPS 2.5-10x45mm or a Swaro 3-10x42mm.Just wanted some opinions of others that have more experience than me.I realize that one scope is not the best for all situations,but looking for a good value/price.
Thanks,
Jimmy

In that price range I would go with the Swarovski. The Leo LPS is nice but I don't think its a $1000 scope. also Nikon make a realy nice scope in their Monarch line for alo less.
But if your willing to spend a little more money the
Shmidt&Bender is the top dog from what I have seen in the field.
But for the most part in normal hunting condidtions at normal hunting ranges(out to 500yds) Leopold,Nikon,Burris and the Bushnell Elite 3200&4200 scopes will serve you well that are all realy clear and collect enough light to use during normal hunting hrs.

JDJones,Lincoln:
What would your opinion be of the Leupold LPS if I could perchase it for $600,new in the box?
Thank you both!
Jimmy

Jimmy, Have you looked thru a LPS scope? Their glass and coatings give it slight pink tint like some of the old Burris. Factory tells me that it because of the "quality" of the glass. I don't like a pink tint! The Swarovski scope is hard to beat from my experience. Get the TDS reticle and go hunting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hey Pete,

How much will this S & B scope cost? You know, how many arms or legs??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wapiti 13,
Compared a Ziess Conquest,Leupold VXlll,Swarovski today.Not much of a test.Indoors with indirect lighting.In my opinion and other people,Young and old eyes,all of us agreed that the Swaro 3-10 had an edge on the others for brightness,light weight,relative compact.I am leaning towards the Swaro.Can't decide on a #4 reticle or the TDS.Do you use the TDS?Is it the "real deal"?I like it more than the Boone/Crockett.Is the Swaro warantee comparable to the Leupold?
Thanks to you all!
Jimmy

Jimmy, The TDS real deal. It is not a perfect world, but if you use the chart that comes with the scope and sight-in properly, you can use the TDS accurately for big game hunting out to 600 yds with confidence. The 10mph wind correction is also real nice. Go to Swarovski website and read about the TDS reticle. Works better than Burris'ballistic plex(has errors in spacing) and just as good as mildots with better user friendly traits. Hard to beat the Swarovski scopes. If you want smaller and lighter weight, the AV 3X9X32 is being offered with the TDS reticle for the first time this year. Not many around yet, but i've talked to the Factory and confirmed that they are out. I personally like the 3X9. Fits lower to the barrel, lighter weight, and still plenty of power. Swarovski warranty is litetime, and I've had excellent turn around time and changes that I ordered prior to the TDS coming out. Good luck.

Hey Wapiti-- what kind of errors have u noticed on the Ball. Plex spacing?? I've seen differences between the advertised x-hair to the 3 plex post tips, but have not had any problems with the ballistic reticle portion-- but then again i've only measured 1.

sscoyote, Main error on the Burris Ballistic plex is fortunately at their first distance. Their correction from 200 zero sight-in main crosshair is off for their first stadia at 300 yds. Your impact will be low since there is not enough elevation built in. Their other distances are pretty close, but need to be verified at distance (true with all the correction plex type reticles).

If you are gonna pick one scope and only one scope...
1. Taking into consideration this is a lrh board
2. You need to cover every hunting situaion
3. You need to cover every lighting option
4. you need to cover every weather situation

the answer

S&B 4-12 PMII lit ret.

can't think of a situation it can't handle to 800+

Ric, Remember that most of the members of the forum view 600 yds or less LR hunting. Only with a special rifle and proper training can a few folks stretch out to really LR hunting. Most folks are pushed to go beyond 500 yds. Just a thought.

I hear what you are saying...good point.

scope recommendation still doesn't change. The military thinks so as well ;-)

For Big Game hunting, the TDS reticle works very well. However if you get into target shooting then you will have to do a bit more estimating for holdoff. I have the the 4-12x50 with the TDS 4 reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.