Hunting rifle build, 6.5 Creedmoor.

usmcm16a2

Guys,

Doing a light weight 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 platform build. Tennessee Arms .308 lower, polymer. TA lower parts kit. TA buffer kit, with Magpul M4 style buttstock. The upper is a Gen2 DPMS, bolt carrier group is DPMS, barrel is a Ballistic Avantage 18" inch heavy barrel mid length. Extra light hand guard, 15 inch. Trigger CMC 2 stage. My lower is doing its 10 day "cooling off" wait here in California. A2

Folks,

As to whether or not the take down pin holes will hold up. I zero concern. I have seen guys who have heated their lowers up in a stove at 170 for 2 hours. Run their lowers over with trucks. The owner of Tennessee Arms takes his own rifle, pretending there is a stuck round, an "mortars" it by slamming it on the floor of his garage. No concern on my part at all. A2

You're on the right track but I'd like to give you some advice based on experience.. go at least 22"with a rifle plus 2" gas system. Buy an adjustable gas block and go with a high pressure bolt. You'll thank me later.

Dodge,

Followed your advice, and purchased a adjustable gas system. and the other items we discussed. I appreciate your advise, but on a lark, I took the rifle with the original equipment, (Aero Precision gas block, non-adjustable) and the rifle worked perfectly. 170 rounds down the tube zero problems.
And sub-moa with a 95gr Lehigh defense Controlled chaos. Accurate as hell, test on the swingers out to 500 yards. It could be that Aero Precisions gas block in combination with the Ballistic Advantage barrel is the right medicine. Brass was kicking out at about 3 oclock. All in all I am very pleased.
Thanks A2

Where I started having issues was moving into the higher grain loadslike the 143gr eldx rounds. A 95gr load isn't doing the creedmoor round any justice and will be a much lower pressure load. The creedmoor shines at distances that the ld rounds aren't capable of given their light weight and low bc. That being said aero precision is a great manufacturer add it sounds like you have a great platform to build on.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.