Hunting/long range rifle?

Ace762

Hey, I plan on getting a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 as a new hunting/long range rifle, (I'm currently using an old WWII Mosin Nagant M91/30), and I was just wondering if anyone knows of any good new stocks/optic mounts I could get for it? I know that the barrel is not free floated, which is why I want a new stock instead of the factory stock, and as far as mounts go I'm not to familiar with long range shooting so I'm not sure what to get, any suggestions? Also, (kind of a side note), does anyone know if the Center Point Mil Dot scopes are any good for up to 800 yard shooting as a starter scope? If anyone has any information about the subjects listed, then please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely- Ace762.

You did not list a budget...

Stock= Manners or McMillan as my first choices hands down.

Base wise there are many good ones, Picatinny Rail gets my vote hands down. Badger and Seekins come to mind off the top of my head, but there are several other good ones.

Scope wise, buy once cry once... seriously man spend more on the scope than the rifle. A bad scope = nothing but bad days at the range. Nightforce is legendary ...for good reason. USO is good. Personally I like IOR, but some folks don't. I hear that Bushnell HDMR series is actually very decent, some folks say it has CA problems but that has been addressed backwards and forwards and they are GTG. Super Sniper are a rock solid value, not cheap but good. Weavers new tacticals are pretty decent I hear...

For out to 1k, you really do NOT need much more than about 20x... in fact 14x if you have GOOD optics is pretty reasonable. With my IOR @ 1k in the last 5 minutes of light or so I can engage 1 Gallon Jugs filled with red dye water using only 12-14x. For that matter I can even JUST manage it at 10x but that is getting a bit hard. In that same last few minutes of light, because of the diameter of my objective / exit pupil available much above 14x gets too "Dark" and I lose the 1 gallon jugs, then find myself dialing back to 12-14x. Just FYI because not many folks seem to realise more mag is not always a good thing... :)

Have a good one,
Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.