hunting in the desert

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by fmsniper, Mar 24, 2007.

1. fmsniper

fmsniper Well-Known Member

ok I arrived in the desert of Majovi, fort irwin, so what the hell is there to hunt here???????? and where?

2. NYLES

NYLES Well-Known Member

Ouch Lil Death Valley! I did 4 NTC's there...all I remember is spiders snakes lizards(big ones) and scorpions. And the hottest place Ive ever been!

Sorry cant help ya with the hunting. Maybe plan a trip to a nearby state.

3. Kenster-Boy

Kenster-Boy Well-Known Member

I don't know how far the mojave natl. preserve is from you but there is some good quail shooting there during the season. There is also deer tags for that area available. . . although I didn't have any luck last year. .. very few and far between.

The rabbit shooting there can be phenominal, and there is coyotes around but I have yet to kill one.

Other than that, you're in the same boat i'm in. . . SCREWED!!! Not to mention that the mirage of summer makes LR nearly impossible. . .

Best of luck.

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

In the 80's (1980's) I used to go over on KelBacker Road (North side of 40) and shoot jackrabbits...there were a lot of them over there in the evening and early morning, we'd make a weekend of it. Kelbacker Road crosses I40 as it's coming North out of Amboy. I hunted California Valley Quail a bit but that was down at Camp Pendleton.