Hunting a corn field ?

WhiteOak

Is a standing corn field a better way to hunt deer ?
Someone told me to raise corn and then a couple of weeks before season , push over your shooting lanes with a four wheeler.

That would work but taking a bush hog to cut down some wide lanes also works really well. Spreads a lot of corn on the ground also.

Thanks TN.
What about planting one kind of a food plot opposed to a blend like a wheat , rye , clover etc....
Next season , I would like to try something different.

Push the corn down? Hardly.

Deer like to bed in corn. Just because you push lanes down doesn't mean that smart old buck is going to get up and walk out in the open.

Let it stand. Hope for moderate wind. Take a light carbine...like a Ruger Deerhunter 44Mag or a open-sight muzzleloader...or anything with iron sights...and still-hunt that corn. Go across the field row by row, then move up 30 yards (a bit less or more depending on the condition of the corn) and repeat.

I've killed a ton of deer this way. Typically where I live now the corn is down by gun season so I don't get the chance. But I've done the same thing with a bow, it just harder to get a good shot angle when they are bedded.

Thanks ATH for your reply , this would be done on private land as a food plot in sight of my box blind.

Here in Louisiana we will plant corn and forage soy beans together (eagle forage soy beans) The corn will provide stalks for the forage beans to climb creating a food rich thicket . The corn will mature as normal and the beans will die when it frost . You can then bushog this mess down laying out a soy /corn buffet . Some folks leave about 1/3 of it standing.

Soy beans are grouped from about 3-8 , 3 being early maturing beans which will be toast but mid august and 8's will take a frost to kill . Your forage beans (designed for grazing)are typically group 7-8 . If you have a dense deer herd or small plots deer will likely devour them before they get large enough to with stand grazing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.