Hunt swapping

300 ultra

I am considering taking a guy to wyoming to my spot for a deer/antelope combo in return he will take me to his elk spot in colorado. Here are my concerns: His trophy pictures of elk are nice but nothing I saw was over 300" and he has more time on his hands than I do. Which has me wondering if I decide to not hunt my spot one year and hunt a other state will I return to a city of hunters in my area. He says not to worry that he would never do that because I could do it to his spot as well. So what are your thoughts? anyone else done this and what was your experience?

I've had good and bad experiences at this. I took a guy I work with to one of my public land turkey hunting hot spots and the next year him and his whole family set up camp there. They hunted there for several years.
Took me a long time to trust anyone again, but I have and it's done ok. I've been given places to hunt by folks and I can assure you I wouldn't tell a sole because I've been there.

The part where you said "his trophies" if he doesn't shoot the same quality animals you do,you better think long and hard. I see the same thing here with the local whitetail guys, "man come see the nice buck I got" looking at it I.m thinking "I would have never even raised my scope to look at it."...............

I have only taken a couple good friends to my honeyholes out in Wyoming and they had to literally sign a blood oath that they would not tell anyone where they went and would not go back out there unless it was with me. It has worked out fine, but I doubt that I would do what you are thinking about with someone I didn't know. I thought I knew a guy pretty well after several years on a BB I frequented and we also had many emails back and forth with each other. I decided to take him up on a hunt in "his" area last year. He was a lousy shot and missed two book antelope I found for him the first day, then shot a small 10" one that night and said it was because he couldn't get close enough to the good ones, LOL! The next morning I said we better hit the water hole and get his doe tag filled so we could get serious about deer hunting. He came up with some lame excuse about having a sore throat and a cold coming on and went back to MN, leaving me out there by myself where I had never been before. I was out there for almost two weeks, hunted hard, and there weren't enough deer in that whole Region to warrant the G&F selling tags! I learned a lesson the hard way there!!!

Last edited:
I am considering taking a guy to wyoming to my spot for a deer/antelope combo in return he will take me to his elk spot in colorado. Here are my concerns: His trophy pictures of elk are nice but nothing I saw was over 300" and he has more time on his hands than I do. Which has me wondering if I decide to not hunt my spot one year and hunt a other state will I return to a city of hunters in my area. He says not to worry that he would never do that because I could do it to his spot as well. So what are your thoughts? anyone else done this and what was your experience?

If he hasn't gotten a 300" there then you probably won't either. I would not take the risk.

I might trade him a goat hunt for an elk hunt as good tags are hard for a nr to draw and plentifull otherwise. If you have a mulie honey-hole I'd think long and hard about shareing it!
I've shared a lot of dog towns over the years........Shared some great shooting for the most part but really regret shareing with a couple of individuals!

What unit in Colorado does he hunt? I know that if he is not killing a 300 plus bull out here then his trophy expectations are way low or the land does not hold that age class of animals. I am guessing he hunts a genereal unit and if that is the case the average age bull harvested is 3.5 years old only because there is a point restriction.
I would find somebody that has the same trophy expectations you do or this thing is more than likely going to go south. I have traded a lot of hunts with guys and I will only take serious trophy hunters that understand what it is they are agreeing to.
The guy might be the greatest guy in the world, but I would rather find out some other way than taking him to my best spot.
I have no idea the quality of animals you will be presenting him but, for your knowledge if you are going to hunt Colorado general units you need a guy that knows the back country and consistantley kills those tough old bulls.
Look at my photos on the trophy photos site of this web page, all those animals were killed last year on public land. That is the quality you need to be trading for.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.