Mulie hunt

midwesthunter

Looking to do a do it your self hunt with several guys in 2013. Missed this year for preference points, but what would be a good state with good hunt odds? Will be a rifle hunt, on public land. I was thinking CO but don't know much about other states.

Idaho kicks butt. Non Resident tags in alot of units are O.T.C and you can use your buck tag on a black bear (non residents only) in some units, as well as go to town and buy another deer tag (doe only second tag). Prices are good, seasons are long, game is plentiful in most places.
I here good things about Colorado too, but the ''Hunter Orange'' law can kiss my @$$. I wont hunt in states that require it. Its a personal issue I have I guess. I just plain hate brite orange.....So why am I an OSU Beaver fan? The agg program, not the stupid colors:D.

Idaho kicks butt. Non Resident tags in alot of units are O.T.C and you can use your buck tag on a black bear (non residents only) in some units, as well as go to town and buy another deer tag (doe only second tag). Prices are good, seasons are long, game is plentiful in most places.
I here good things about Colorado too, but the ''Hunter Orange'' law can kiss my @$$. I wont hunt in states that require it. Its a personal issue I have I guess. I just plain hate brite orange.....So why am I an OSU Beaver fan? The agg program, not the stupid colors:D.

I hate the orange as well. I know you spent time in MT, does that mean you will not hunt MT?

Steve

I hate the orange as well. I know you spent time in MT, does that mean you will not hunt MT?

Steve
I think its a good Idea to have a kid wear color of some kind. Ill even wear color (red) if theres an abundance of city folks flingin lead in all directions, but why stay in an area like that? Why orange? Why not red or something that doesnt hurt your eyes? Heck I dont mind wearing my red Filson Double Mac. In fact I rather enjoy it durring elk season snow storms. But Ive never been to jail, so why make me dress up in orange like an escaped con?
I love Montana. But no, I will not hunt there if laws like that are enforced. Ill wear color (red) if I feel I need it. But nobody's gonna tell me I will wear orange when I hunt, or else..... They can get bent! Hikers dont have to wear it weather its hunting season or not. Nor do cyclers, or nature watchers etc. Only forced on folks who have a gun and a tag. No Thanks.
Please understand Im not bashing Mt. Its still one of my absolute favorite states in the union, and has some of the best, and brightest, down to earth folks I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I just have a real big problemb with some states laws regarding the mandatory use of orange color during hunting season.

I'm with winmag on this one. Idaho has some good deer units that have over the counter tags and there are some better units that are draw only.

I have never liked the hunter orange requirements of some states either and won't hunt a state that does require orange.

Man Idaho OTC Tags rock! Can you tell me what time of the year Elk season and deer season starts ?

Colorado makes you wear orange even while operating an ATV I found out the hard way , but the warden let me by with a verbal warning . he was dressed in normal clothing and riding a horse when he stopped me and showed me his badge . I wonder how he keeps from getting shot whilest not wearing his safety Orange ??? Seems like he should wear it as well if it's a "safety issue" .

BigBuck

Man Idaho OTC Tags rock! Can you tell me what time of the year Elk season and deer season starts ?

Colorado makes you wear orange even while operating an ATV I found out the hard way , but the warden let me by with a verbal warning . he was dressed in normal clothing and riding a horse when he stopped me and showed me his badge . I wonder how he keeps from getting shot whilest not wearing his safety Orange ??? Seems like he should wear it as well if it's a "safety issue" .

BigBuck

Most general season hunts in Idaho begin around the 10th of October. Of course there are early and late hunts that are on a draw.

also hate the orange but here in IN required during any firearm season. So I'm use to it. But makes me feel a little safer when all the idiots are out. Do you guys hunt public or private?

also hate the orange but here in IN required during any firearm season. So I'm use to it. But makes me feel a little safer when all the idiots are out. Do you guys hunt public or private?

I live and hunt mainly in unit 13 which is a draw unit for both deer and elk. Have spent years hunting unit 13, 18 and 22. Unit 13 is about 80% private but 18 and 22 are mostly public with 18 being the Hells Canyon Wilderness. As far as the orange goes there are drainages in all three units that if either horse back or backpacking you won't see anyone and if you do he is probably just as talented as you looking for a good head and would not shoot anything that he has not identified.

Thanks. Looking towards a hunt prob 2013. Going to start putting in for points in a couple states.

Well, if you dont mind Orange, and have never been ''out west'', then the sky is the limmit. Montana, Colorado,Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Arizona all have some gynormous bucks, and beautifull scenery. Take your pick. Your guaranteed to have the time of your life!
I think Long Time Long Ranger guides in Montana. I was reading a story on a 32'' buck or something early this spring. Do a search, and youll find the thread. Those boys shoot BIG deer!! Maybe that'll help you decide wich state/unit to apply for. I know you mentioned DIY, but If you dont draw for some reason, most guides are alotted a certain number of tags. If you book a hunt with them you dont have to draw. But, you also have to get led around by the teeth by a stranger, and have someone tell you when, and where, and what to shoot, etc. They have to hunt with all comer's. Guides want to make it home alive, and dont want to waste 3 days following a wounded animal that some iddiot gut shot, so you cant blame them for doing things the way they do. Its just not my style, I want an adventure, and I want to call my own shots. But the right guide can make all the difference, and you dont have to draw a tag. 6 of one -half dozen of the other......Both have thier +&-
Good luck

Thanks, I have elk hunted Utah 300" 6x7 diy hunt. I have filmed in CO. Been all over yellowstone. I can't say I would never use a guied but have heard horror stories out west. Plus it always adds more money to cost of a hunt. I will have to talk to Long Time Long Ranger. Thanks again

I think Colorado is the best bet. Yes, the orange sucks but you have the best odds of taking home a trophy buck. There are many areas you can draw with no points or on your second choice. Getting your second choice will save your point. Also, try to limit your group size to around four, it will help your draw odds.

I've heard that the wolves are eating everything in Idaho now. No more moose hunts and limited draws in some areas. I used to hunt Idaho alot but then they raised the cost of tags almost double what other states were getting at the time. I called Idaho Fish and Game and talked to a lady who told me that Idaho offers a "Cadilac" hunt compared to other states. Yeah, right. Now their fees are pretty much in line with other states.

You will see other hunters in Colorado....just get off and away from the road and you'll do fine. If you want to get away from hunters, try Nevada. I've hunted whole seasons there and have only seen a few other hunters and most of them were chuckar hunters. It is a real "crap" shoot there. You can draw with no points or with 10. Definetly a "gamble".

Just my 2 cents. Moose

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.