HSM bergers

That must have been a while ago. Cabelas has a very strict policy about returning any ammo to the store as in not. Went through the same thing myself with another brand and caliber and wound up keeping the ammo but rhe manufacturer gave me a refund, ar Cabelas corporate insistence. I still have the stuff, 100 rounds in the boxes.

Cabelas comment was to give it to the local LEO's. I won't give the stuff to my worst enemy. I will, however, pull the bullets, dump the powder, pop the primers, resize and reuse the brass at some point.

I think it was last fall. They let me exchange it for a different brand and I just paid the difference.

Mine was last fall as well. To be perfectly upfront, one of my hunting/shooting partners is one of the general managers at the store near me. I didn't buy the gun there, I actually don't buy guns there unless I've accrued enough points to offset the price substantially below the lowest available prices is anywhere else... I don't have a black card because I don't use it, I charge all my business expenses on it and use the points for stuff I want.....

Better than air miles or cheap Chinese trinkets ordered from some redemption site....., much better.

Anyway, the ammo was .338 and the manufacturer was PPU. I started a thread on here (las fall concerning the parameters and what happened but (and I dealt with Sidney Nebraska not the local store after the initial complaint) bottom line was that Cabelas would not take it back under any circumstances, I could not even attempt to return it physically to the store and that was last fall.

So, I still have it, tucked away in it's pretty blue and white boxes, minus the 5 rounds I fired and 3 rounds that never detonated. It was sad to pull those two bullets and dump that fine Vitavouri propellant and pop the primers, something that I'll probably do to all 100 eventually.

I replaced the 100 questionable PPU rounds with 50 from HSM is standard headspacing and 50 from Lapua, again in standard headspacing. I also bought 100 rounds of HSM in 308 Winchester with Berger's inserted and at no time has there been any hint of over loaded propellant, stress cracked brass, flattened primers or brass transfer to the bolt heads on either the 338 (Savage 11LRH or the 11-111 Lightweight huinter, in fact, both caliber shoot very well and I'm keeping the Betram brass'd 308 cases and the Lapua cased 338's for reloading in the future.

If you follow the threads on this site (like I do BTW), you'll read many about issues with sticky bolt lift and case problems on tight chambered 338 savages. I've had none of those issues, in fact, my 338 with HSM loaded catrtidges performs just as well as the Lapua Factory loads (Scenars).

I'm happy and that is all that all thats important to me, at least.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.