HS vs. Bell and Carlson

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by angus-5024, Mar 22, 2012.

1. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

Im looking to restock my .338 RUM (rem 700). Im going to go with the thumbhole style, sporter. HS has their model that seems a little bulky, and has a barrel channel meant for a Senduro but would probably be a better stock.

The B+C is lighter, more hunting weight and is probably a better fit for my style of hunting but isnt quite the same quality.

So what do you guys think, Id like to hear personal experiences with both and maybe a bit about how stiff they are in comparison.

I would look at them first hand but in my location its a little tricky to find an aftermarket stock, thumbholes are even harder.

HS- $519 CAD.
    B+C- under $300 CAD

2. rooster740

rooster740 Well-Known Member

I have a HS on a 700 and love it! Very comfortable to hold. I have a Bell and Carlson I bought in a pinch to put on a M70 and it is junk! I did not put it on the gun. HS does not make a thumbhole stock for the M70 or I would buy another.

3. diriel

diriel Well-Known Member

+1 For HS

4. ovastafford

ovastafford Well-Known Member

For that much I would look at Manner's thumbhole. Looks pretty sweet and they have them on stocky's for $529.

5. angus-5024

the problem with manners are that by the time they cross the border they very pricey, and they take a very long time to get across. The Manners would be my first choice hands down, but budget is a big factor.

Thanks for the responses guys, Ill see if I can get an HS a little cheaper.

6. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

I'm in the same ball park. B&C vs HS Precision. I've found a few deals on HS stocks, but my length of pull is quite a bit Longer than the standard 13-1/2", so I haven't been able to find "The One". B& C on the otherhand are EVERYWHERE, but its 1 piece bottom metal only, & B&C stocks all have cheek pieces, which I don't want. Mcmillan's wait time is forever long, sooooo,..... What a quandary to be in huh :D
    Dont know about thumb holes, but there are some great deals on HS stocks online if you look hard enough, as long as you don't mind standard l.o.p. & cheek pieces.

7. grit

grit Well-Known Member

HS offers a higher quality, more rigid platform, as a rule.

B and C offers a lot of features for the price point. There's a reason.

8. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

"shortgrass" just turnned me onto MPI Stocks in Oregon. Super short turnaround time, & a high quality product. Tons of thumbhole options as well for you Angus-5024.
    After looking at thierwebsite, I Just spent 1/2 be on the phone with them, & I'm quite impressed!
    Check em out. Prices are great.lightbulb

9. angus-5024

Thanks winmag, Im looking over all the MPI options know too. Its just so stinkin hard to find companies willing to ship to Canada. I hear you on the length of pull too (15 3/8").

Im pretty set on something better than B+C now.

10. diriel

diriel Well-Known Member

15 3/8 would be abomidable snowman territory :D

Gary

11. 7mmpredator

7mmpredator Well-Known Member

Take a look at Hollands Gunsmithing and Shooting Supply as well.

12. silvertip-co

silvertip-co Well-Known Member

...maybe you ought to first google up hs precison and lon horiuchi. then go buy a bell and carlson stock.

13. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Ok you got my curiosity up, & I'm too lazy to Google anything.g but LRH at the moment. Who is lon horiuchi? & what is the connection?

14. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Well-Known Member

Highlight, copy, paste and search. Took me longer to type this then search. FBI sniper from Ruby Ridge.