Hows your coyote season going? Have any pics?

heathbaker

I began coyote hunting in late October. So far my partner and I have killed roughly 30 coyotes this season with the best yet to come. Here is a pic of a double we called in and shot. Also shows a good pic of the kind of custom rifles we shoot.

316826_523038301248_135700757_30548502_33862964_n.jpg

Attachments

• nutt.jpg
    nutt.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 117
How's my coyote season going?

Not so well. I just got started though. It's been warm and windy here for what seems like forever now. We're suppose to get some colder weather in a couple of days though. Hopefully things will turn for the better then.

I just made a new call the other day too, and if they can resist it, I'll be surprised! This thing sounds awesome.

Havnt had too much time to go yet so I have just been going out around my house. Actually, I have sat in the same stand twice so far and I have gotten two coyotes. So not too bad! I already posted a pic of the fist yote but it was on the main forum. I will post the one that I shot this evening here. Was shot at about 100 yards. I am beginning to be a super big fan of the 6.5 Grendel AR. With the 100 grain ballistic tip, the coyotes are anchored when you hit them even if you get an off shot on one. I hate hitting one a little far back and watching them run off. I like to get the satisfaction of seeing my kill and what it did to the animal. The Grendel has been hitting like a HAMMER! It is not fur friendly but I dont keep the fur. Just do it to try to help out the deer population around here.

My Grendel set up is so light in recoil thanks to the brake that I can see the yote get hit and fall. Its pretty awesome.

Coyote 3.jpg

Here is the exit wound. I love it!

Coyote 4.jpg

I haven't been able to call any in...I've probably tried 10 stands with no luck. I've seen probably 12 just driving around on dirt roads in the desert and I've shot at two. I missed the first one due to a stupid mistake of putting the wrong yardage pin on him and shot over his back. The next one wasn't so lucky, and he was my first coyote with my 300 WSM at 240 yards. I don't think I'll shoot anymore with the WSM until summer hits and their coats aren't as pretty.

P1000528.jpg

P1000525.jpg

You guys sure know how to get a guy fired up. I'm gonna go play with some song dogs again in the morning. Maaaybe I can get a picture up here on the coyote wall of fame too?...lol.

Just got out for the first time last Friday morning. Called this adult female in, she arrived in just under 4 minutes and was rewarded for being so prompt. 100 yards, 1 shot, with Ruger MkII .223, 3440 fps with a 50 grain V-max. Don't get many "long" shots calling in my country, lots of trees.

Attachments

• 120211, adult female.JPG
    120211, adult female.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 135
well my yote hunting has not being to stellar, went twice with two 0 but keeping a good attitude.as you can see i live in Indiana and for some reason yote hunting here is difficult at least for me. lots of yotes though. had 4 in one game can picture. just got a new fox pro last year. so if you have any suggestions for me i am a good listener.

Pressman, I feel your pain I'm in KY and my best success comes from hunting around chicken farms, there are a plethora of them in central KY. I feel your situation is similar to mine:

1) A lack on coyote in the area at the same time you are, I've got pics of them in the areas i hunt and i try and get there before they do.
2) If they are there they've heard calls before

I use the craziest nastiest sound calls i can get my hands on, i've modified hand calls both open and closed reed and use mainly the loudest calls i can find. I feel the yotes have trouble hearing my through all the woods and hills which I'm usually hunting. I have a foxpro spitfire and will alternate between stands which calls i'm using, as well as howling on some stands before i start the rest of my call sequence. My general conciseness is if they're in the area they'll come in. I do the best i can to control my scent and try and play the wind. I've hunted these critters for about 10yrs now. If you can get a spot with limited water supply and just sit and watch that maybe the ticket, i've killed several coyotes while deer hunting and not making a sound, i like to set up in large field corners where some tall grass or grown up fence rows connect with a thicket that's seems to be the ticket for them in my neck of the woods.

-Some days they just win... but when it works out in my favor i'm the baddest mother in the woods for the day-

I've been lucky the few times I've been able to hunt coyotes. Here's a pic of 2 of the 3 I killed last month while scouting for deer season. No calls or anything, just happened to see them. I was able to kill 3 of the 4 in the group, all over 300 yds and in about 12 seconds. I have since killed one at 582 yds in the same area of the ranch. I'll be out again in a week or so, hopefully be able to take out a bunch more calf killers before the spring.
9Nov11-1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.