Howdy fella's, it's Moby from Dallas

Moby75165

Hello gent's (and ladies),

I'm new to the forums. I've had a little LR shooting in the past but getting a little more serious with it now.
I just purchased a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WSM. Thinking about 1000 yds is about max.

I'm mounting a Vortex Diamondback 6X24 with a 50MM objective. I love that it is front a focal plane optic.
My goal is to shoot a clay pigeon (4.3") consistently at 500. As the rifle claims 1 MOA out of the box I think building a round for it should get me sub-MOA. I'm Hydro dipping it in Woodland Camo for hunting.

Other than adding a Limb saver I don't really know what else to do to it (of course building a round for it) Don't think I want to add a brake.
Any suggestions on powder/grain weight would be appreciated. I've heard on this forum one shooter liked the 185-grain bullet.

Appreciate any load data gents.

Moby

Welcome from Texas neighbor. Are you wanting a target bullet or duel purpose.

Howdy Tank,
I'm thinking duel purpose as I'm most interested in a fairly solid 500 yard shot.
I'm assuming if I started reaching further for Target that might be a different build.

Any thoughts partner?

Welcome from west Tx. Still waiting for mine to get here. Plan on playing with 180--200 grain. Starting with 190s since I have plenty of them already.

Howdy Tank,
I'm thinking duel purpose as I'm most interested in a fairly solid 500 yard shot.
I'm assuming if I started reaching further for Target that might be a different build.

Any thoughts partner?
Rick Richards gave a good choice. The 180 Berger elite hunter. I've shot steel at 1000 a lot with it. It shoots like a match bullet.

Truthfully I'd not heard of it until a buddy offered it for $500.
24" stainless steel barrel 1-11 twist.

He ran two boxes of ammo through it and bought a .308.

I'm looking forward to the new platform.
I'm hydro dipping it in Woodland Camo for hunting and mounting a Vortex Diamondback 6X24-50mm on a Leopold 20 MOA rail.

Hoping to build a round that will produce .5 MOA or better.

Anyone feel this rifle needs trigger work?
I'm thinking of just adjusting Down to the two pound pull, assuming that's about right.

Really happy to have found this forum.
Lots of experience on here.

Appreciate all,

Moby

I'm currently running a T3 myself in 30-06 and I'm looking at turning it into a long range build. I'll probably either get it rebarreled and trued and drop it in a chassis. As far as the trigger goes though, I'm really happy with it the way it is currently and probably won't touch it until all other parts have gotten attention. Just my personal rifle build though. Do drop pics when you've got yours hydro dipped

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.