Howa 1500 barrel help??

Daves762

I have a Smith &Wesson 1500 (Howa) in 223 and the barrel has some bad pitting from sitting in my uncles basement for 15 years untouched....:(

I want to use the action and stock for a 308 build but can't seem to find replacement barrels on the net.

The action looks well built and strong so I'm sure I'm not the first guy to do this project.

What calibers can the 223 size action handle? 300 WSM?

I see there is spacer in the mag well so I know the 308 will fit.

Anyone know where I can buy a pre fabricated barrel or do I have to order a custom one?

Has anyone tackled this action before?

Thanks in advance..

Dave

Howa 1500's are affordable enough. Why not just buy one with the proper bolt face and magazine for the cartridge you decide to build your custom/semi-custom on? You've got lots of issues to deal with when you convert an action designed for the .223 bolt face to another. Bolt face alterations, coming up with the proper extractor, ejector not in exactly the right place, wrong magazine, feeding problems, the list goes on and on. I'd use that .223 action to build another .223 , or improved, or a wildcat based on the .223 case.

Very good points

But the question stands......where can i get a new barrel for my Howa 1500?

I know they are metric but thats not a big deal....

Where do they sell them?

Opps! As you're looking for a "custom-drop in" or just a replacement barrel, I guess I should remove the "custom/semi-custom" from my last post. Try Numrich Arms, maybe they have some Howa 'take-offs'.

Last edited:
I'm just about to finish a S&W 1500 hunting set-up. Broughton barrel, custom threaded, chambered, & crowned, .25/06. Boss is right, no real demand for pre-threaded and chambered barrels for the Howa/Vanguard/S&W 1500 series. I've used several for hunting rifles and they shoot well. But, selection of aftermarket parts is limited, because of lack of demand. Only barrels I've used on this series have been customs. I don't use pre-fit on anything.

As noted, you'll have to work with a gunsmith willing to thread a barrel blank from one of the barrel companies and then install it for you if you want anything special.

FYI, I found on another forum that Legacy Sports sells factory barrels, as they are the company that imports the Howa rifles. You can contact them if you just want a factory style barrel. That might be your least expensive option.

Rj3292

I have a S&W 1500 Howa rifle and I rebarreled it with a Douglas Match Grade Barrel, SS, 26". The caliber is in 30-06. The rifle groups inside a dime @ 100yds with 165 gr. Hornady SSt's. I shot two coyotes @ 350 yds that were standing side by side. I also shot a 10 pt. buck two seasons ago that was well over 400 yds. A neck shot to top it off. My opinion, just rebarrel the rifle in 223 with 1-9 or 1-8 twist and you will have an excellent long range varmit rifle.

I have rebarreled a couple of them, even made one as a prefit with a barrel nut. It can be done but not the easiest. I would just rebarrel it because I would bet that you can't get the barrel off without damaging something.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.