How would you spend $1500??

Freshta

I'm sure a lot of you guys have already played this game, but I'm curious to see how you'd spend $1500 to build a good precision hunting rifle, mainly for deer but possibly for elk. I already have a Vortex PST scope and harris bipod. I'm looking at anything and everything else...rifle, stock, brake, etc.

Thanks,

Tony

I would buy one of those Savage's in .300 WSM like FEENIX has. Very accurate at long range and what I think is capable of what you want to do.

I would buy one of those Savage's in .300 WSM like FEENIX has. Very accurate at long range and what I think is capable of what you want to do.

Very good idea.

Get one of these. A Savage Model 12 Varmint Low Profile in 300 WSM and upgrade the stock with a good composite. I have one of these and it is very accurate. I shoot milk jugs at 800 yards with it. So guess that's plenty good enough.

Savage Arms

I was in the same boat a few years ago and debated between the Savage and the Remington Sendero. I found a Sendero in a .300 win mag for $1200. I ended up getting a Timney trigger for it and had a brake put on it and had it bedded. I ended up around $1620 for the whole set up, without scope. I had a Vortex HSLR scope on it, as well as a Harris Bipod. For what I do, its actually tough to beat. I fantasize about putting some better glass on it, but the HSLR actually is almost perfect for a hunting set up.

The gun is probably capable of shooting better than me, but I have shot several groups in the 1/2 to 3/4 MOA range from 100-1000 yards. Jeez, I just realized I have about 2200 and some change total into the gun. I thought I had a "budget setup"! Why are all my hobbies so **** expensive?

$1500?

R700 action, chambered in 338 RUM with 4 port DE brake finished barrel length of 28 inches. Stock would be a B&C alaskan ii.

I was in the same boat a few years ago and debated between the Savage and the Remington Sendero. I found a Sendero in a .300 win mag for $1200. I ended up getting a Timney trigger for it and had a brake put on it and had it bedded. I ended up around $1620 for the whole set up, without scope. I had a Vortex HSLR scope on it, as well as a Harris Bipod. For what I do, its actually tough to beat. I fantasize about putting some better glass on it, but the HSLR actually is almost perfect for a hunting set up.

The gun is probably capable of shooting better than me, but I have shot several groups in the 1/2 to 3/4 MOA range from 100-1000 yards. Jeez, I just realized I have about 2200 and some change total into the gun. I thought I had a "budget setup"! Why are all my hobbies so **** expensive?

That is " cheap" or as I prefer, appropriately frugal. High quality at minimum out lay.

The model Savage would be right in there.

300WSM or 300WM will cover you for long range deer and almost long range elk. If you want to go wildcat, the sky's the limit.

I would buy a Remington 700 long range, sell the barrel, send the action to LRI to have it trued and install a Bartlein or Krieger barrel. If you have enough leftover add a Jewell trigger, Cerakote, and a muzzle brake. The new take off barrel should sell for 125-150 and the whole gun should run under 700 with transfer fees if you buy it from Buds guns shop. The work at LRI, through the snipers hides group buy, should run about 300-350 plus 350 for the barrel. To do the whole thing (with new trigger, Cerakote, and muzzle brake) it would probably be closer to 18-1900 but the brake and Cerakote can be done at a later time too. I would have the barrel muzzle threaded while LRI had it though.

My first venture into long range hunting started with a Howa 1500 in 308 win. I've installed a timney trigger and a glass bedded laminate wood stock. The rifle has well below $1000 in it and I've gotten groups with handloads down to.244 center to center at 100 yards. The handloads made all the difference for this rifle.

I would buy a Remington 700 long range, sell the barrel, send the action to LRI to have it trued and install a Bartlein or Krieger barrel. If you have enough leftover add a Jewell trigger, Cerakote, and a muzzle brake. The new take off barrel should sell for 125-150 and the whole gun should run under 700 with transfer fees if you buy it from Buds guns shop. The work at LRI, through the snipers hides group buy, should run about 300-350 plus 350 for the barrel. To do the whole thing (with new trigger, Cerakote, and muzzle brake) it would probably be closer to 18-1900 but the brake and Cerakote can be done at a later time too. I would have the barrel muzzle threaded while LRI had it though.

What caliber suites your needs op?

I'd do something along these lines. I'd probably shoot it first to see what it needs. Trigger right off the bat and probably a cheek piece. If the barrel is gtg then I'd start my honey pot for the rebarrel, truing, and new ptg bolt. I'm not a fan of ear protection in the woods so a brake would not be on my list, to each his own.

Going this route will put you on the range and in the field immediately.

Here is how I spent the money, twice: one savage 111, one stevens 200, PacNor barrels, fluted and threaded for brakes, JP brakes and jam nuts, RifleBasix triggers, Boyds stocks, Defensive Edge cheekpieces, EGW rails, Burris rings. Not counting the scopes, since you already own the one you are going to use. Both are chambered in 280 Ackley.

Attachments

• Gen2completion 027.JPG
    Gen2completion 027.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 35
Man!!! That's a great buy! I'm partial to 7 mags but I'm very interested in 6.5x286 right now.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!! Keep em coming.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.