how well will this track?

Tikkamike

I have an OLD leupold Vari-x III 3.5-10x40mm 1 inch tube that I put on my new 25-06. What I am thinking is if leupold will put a CDS dial on it maybe I can make is a 600 or so capable rifle. But how dependable are the clicks on those old things. its the old coin slot dial but when i look at the drocc hairs on the grid in my leupold bore sighter and turn them the crosshairs seem to move right. I realize I may want to dial past then back down when coming up in elevation since it has a single erector spring. Has anyone used one with a different turret at all? How did it work?

Well, if it were me, I would probably throw it on there, you can pick up a stoney point turret from Midway for ~$30 IIRC which should be an economical way of testing that bad boy out. Put'er through the paces, worst case scenario, you have to send it back to Leupold for warranty work :D

I called Leupold and they said 89 bucks to put a CDS on there. and they take it all apart and make sure everything is still in good working order. They told me the scope was made in 1992 thats 19 years old so I might as well send it in for a check up..

I had an older 3x10 and 4.5x14 with coin slots. both tracked perfectly. I had one replaced with target turrets by Leupold which may be an option for you. I find the glass on the older VXIII are better than the new stuff! I beleive Kenton can also make a IPHY or custom turret for the coin slots as well.

Dig, you are correct. Kenton can also make turrets for coin slot rigs....

Mike, $89 bucks?! Dang, send that bad boy in! Get'er a good check-up & wack some fuzzy wuzzies with that new 25-06....

With all of the Tikka talk going on lately, i've actually been thinking about lookin at one or two... my out of staters shoot them to good effect & really seem to be happy... who knows?!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.