how toos or what should i know for reloading for a 300 rum

shuamee

i have a rem 700 sendero sf2. its all factory (waiting to burn the barrel out then have the whole gun worked over). does anybody have a good load worked up for this yet? i have prob 5lbs of retumbo and prob around 3 or 400 hornady sst in 180gr just sitting here i would like to use that. also how should i or how could i measure the distance to the lands, how far should i back off of them? im not really worried bout col as far as the rounds fitting in the mag. its a bolt gun i cant shoot but one at the time anyway. load will be used mostly for targets i do hunt whitetail with this gun but im usually 3 to 700 yards away from them. thanks for any replies

Last edited:
I shoot Berger 210 grn match bullets using retumbo powder and federal primers.
I can't remember off top of my head how much powder but it shoots 2930 fps. when I get home I'll try to look to see how much power. I had to set it about .030 off the lands to get best accuracy. I also have the factory sendero. Shoots great for me. About 8 inches @ 1k for one of my three shot groups.

can u still use the mag on your gun. i just saw a thread bout the measurements but how did u get yours? send me how much powder you use when you get a chance please i may try that load here in a week or so.

No, i cant load more than one at a time, the Berger bullets are pretty long. It's not even close if I remember correct, or I probably wouldve just shortened it up some

Unless you get an extended box like a wyatt's you probably won't be able to get close to the lands unless you use it as a single shot. I load mine to the magazine max OAL and have used Retumbo and H1000. I had better velocity SD & ES from H1000 than Retumbo. You should be able to work right off the load data on the can for Retumbo, their recommendations we pretty good and should get you up close to max.

Do some testing you may find the factory setup is plenty accurate with the right loads. I used to shoot Nosler Accubond 180's and recently switched over to Berger VLD's in 190's.

the gun being a bolt really wont bother me bein a single shot if the end result is that much better. is it worth it? and how do yall go about pickin which bullets as far as weight do you think will work best as far as stablizing and accuracy before bein able to test them? tryin tosave myself some money starting out

Sorry it took so long, I use 91 grs of retumbo in Remington brass, which seems to be holding up quite well compared even to some lapua brass I use in my .243. As far as which bullets to use Berger has been giving alot of people good results including me. I'm by no means an expert, more of an amature, but generally speaking heavier bullets will give better long range precision and carry more energy than lighter bullets so long as your barrel will stabilize the heavier bullet which the sedero does the 210 grn bergers. I havent tried anything other than bergers in my reloads, if it ain't broke don't fix it right, but I would like to experiment.

ok thanks. have you figured your bullet drop and all with that load? if u have id be interested to know what it is.

Don't know if you have an iPhone but if you do there is an awesome app that is a ballistic calculator. I enter all the data for my load then can scroll to how many yards and select wind speed and direction and it will calculate drop in inchs and moa so I just make adjustments to my scope. 300 yards it drops 8.14 inches. It work fairly accurate too. Its called ballistic fte, costs 20 bucks but well worth the money compared to those other handheld ballistic calculators that cost a fortune and can't even call people or take pictures:D

I just today tested the first batch of Berger 210VLD in my RUM. Mine is a Winchester Mod 70 I bought in about 2001. I loaded them at 3.610 as that is as long as will reliably feed from the magazine. I am still working up the powder. The last one I tried today was 89gr Retumbo which gave 2875fps and grouped very well at 100yd. About 5/8" for 3 shots which was tighter than the lower powder charges. I will be back to the bench soon for some higher poweder weights. I did not have any pressure signs at 89gr.

At 3.610 the bullet is jumping at least .180" I made up a dummy round at about 3.800 figuring the bullet would push in the case when I closed the bolt. It did not move and I knew I could not load that long in the magazine that long, so I just loaded the max that would fit. I did follow Berger's suggestion of 3-4 different seating depths, backing off that 3.610 by .040 two steps and shot at the same 86gr powder charge. The 3.610 was best followed not too far by the 3.570, then the group doubled at 3.540.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.