How to reload new unprimed brass?

With Nosler and Norma brass in a box i just inspect, trim if needed, and load 'em up. With other brands of new brass, the case necks in plastic bags usually don't fair to well in shipping and handling. I'll then go through the whole woks of FL resizing etc. etc.

I guess we all have our way of doing it. I just pass a mandrel of proper size through the necks to make sure it's rounded and proper size, de-burr the case mouth, then I load and fire. After the 1'st firing then I trim to a certain length, uniform primer pockets and de-burr flash holes. If I find a virgin case that is somewhat deformed then I will FL resize. JME

Just a note on fl sizing unfired brass, you'll rarely do anything more than neck sizing does unless something is out of spec. That's why I fl size. It usually doesn't even touch the case, it just trues up the neck. If you feel something off, you know to inspect that case further.

Agreeing with most there is no right or wrong. Here is my approach.
Inside/outside neck chamfer.
Neck, FLR or use mandrel to assure round neck.
Primer pocket uniforming for 1rst, 2nd & 3rd firings.
Trim after second and third firing.
Flash hole deburring before 1rst firing.
Flash hole uniforming that is dependent on a constant trim length done after 2nd or third when trim lengths are equal.
Initial weight sorting optional with volume sorting on some after two to three firings.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts