How hard is it to learn to reload ?

They DID NOT use black powder! gary

Yes Gary, I know the reports say they used fireworks powder emptied from each canister. I'm just saying that Congress is equating the availability of 50 lb. packages of reload gun powder with the ability to build similar type bombs.
And they say, the fact that anyone can buy this 50 lb. bag of gun powder without going through a background check is something to be reviewed.

I have no idea if this powder can in fact be used for those types of purposes, just wanted to make it known that legislation is being offered to require a background check when buying this powder.

NH store: Boston bombing suspect bought fireworks
"Tamerlan Tsarnaev bought two "Lock and Load" reloadable mortar kits containing 24 shells each.
The amount of gunpowder that could be harvested from the kits — less than a pound and a half — would not have been enough to detonate the Boston bombs, company Vice President William Weimer said, although it's possible some of that powder may have been used.
The absence of colored smoke in the Boston explosions and other special effects powders mixed in with the fireworks' blast powder suggests the bombers sought and used an alternate fuel source, he said.
"My suspicion is they experimented with this, decided they couldn't get enough powder out of them and went to look for another fuel," Weimer said."

Yes Gary, I know the reports say they used fireworks powder emptied from each canister. I'm just saying that Congress is equating the availability of 50 lb. packages of reload gun powder with the ability to build similar type bombs.
And they say, the fact that anyone can buy this 50 lb. bag of gun powder without going through a background check is something to be reviewed.

I have no idea if this powder can in fact be used for those types of purposes, just wanted to make it known that legislation is being offered to require a background check when buying this powder.

NH store: Boston bombing suspect bought fireworks
"Tamerlan Tsarnaev bought two "Lock and Load" reloadable mortar kits containing 24 shells each.
The amount of gunpowder that could be harvested from the kits — less than a pound and a half — would not have been enough to detonate the Boston bombs, company Vice President William Weimer said, although it's possible some of that powder may have been used.
The absence of colored smoke in the Boston explosions and other special effects powders mixed in with the fireworks' blast powder suggests the bombers sought and used an alternate fuel source, he said.
"My suspicion is they experimented with this, decided they couldn't get enough powder out of them and went to look for another fuel," Weimer said."

It's kind of that this is what society has evolved into.
glt

I live on the east coast so like it or not I have to read about NYC's Mayor Bloomberg on a regular basis. Give Mayor Bloomberg enough time and he will outlaw potato chips.

Regarding the Boston bombing. It is best we be careful what we post on this site. Plenty of the liberal press mining sites like this looking for "story" material. Facts are facts, Oklahoma City and Boston did not involve anything we use. Facts are facts, terrorists and other evil people will use whatever they can to spread their evil, evil mayhem.

I live on the east coast so like it or not I have to read about NYC's Mayor Bloomberg on a regular basis. Give Mayor Bloomberg enough time and he will outlaw potato chips.

Regarding the Boston bombing. It is best we be careful what we post on this site. Plenty of the liberal press mining sites like this looking for "story" material. Facts are facts, Oklahoma City and Boston did not involve anything we use. Facts are facts, terrorists and other evil people will use whatever they can to spread their evil, evil mayhem.

you are really right. I have long learned to have a distrust for the new media (45 years now). As my Daddy used to say "I don't trust him any further than I can kick an anvil barefooted!"
gary

Hornady has there twist lock reloading kit that comes with electronic scale. Not sure how good there electronic scale is but the kit was 299.00. Of course some of those kits are way up there. I have a old CH press with huge shell holders I will just have to order some replacement parts and go that route.

Back on topic:
I reload and have been at it for over 40 years. I'm quite positive it hasn't saved me any money but I do get to shoot a lot more! gun)

And accuracy compared to factory ammo is much much better!

Hornady has there twist lock reloading kit that comes with electronic scale. Not sure how good there electronic scale is but the kit was 299.00. Of course some of those kits are way up there. I have a old CH press with huge shell holders I will just have to order some replacement parts and go that route.

Buy used presses and such off of E-Bay. dirt cheap as compared to brand new

Those kits will lose their luster very quick, imho. You start out with whatever they give you, then you learn how you want to do it and/or how to do it better, and you end up spending another 300 likely more on better equipment that suits you. I guess I never really bought into the idea of those kits. I say really do some homework for what you are reloading for, and find out the ins & outs of how each product works and what YOU would think will work best for you.. just as if you were buying a car.. I realize this is time consuming, but for me to say yeah buy this or buy that is not really going to cut it for you .. You have a gun you undoubtedly spent a good chunk of cabbage on, and you are no doubt going to spend a bunch on components anyway, so might as well do it right the first time.

*Disclaimer: I am in no way telling you to do one thing over the others , these are simply opinions based on life experiences, others have good options too. Buy what you desire within your own limits and knowledge base. Having said that, be prepared at this point in time to be subjected to lack of component supplies or extreme wait times if you do find components. It's a great hobby, but expensive and time consuming, but addictive! Have fun, be safe.:)

I missed buying a rcbs press for 85$ at pawn shop they also had a large hornady powder measure for 45, powder trickler for 12, and balance beam scale for 45. Which brings me to question of those type scales. Does any one have reservations about buying them used. I winder about there accuracy. The Hirnafy scale I found was in excellent shape clean etc.. but marked me wonder. Thoughts?

My first hand experience on reloading. My calibers - 7mm-08 .243Win and 9x18 Makarov

I bought the .243 and the 7MM and over 1.00 a pull on the trigger and seeing the lack of consistent accuracy and the fact that its a ton of fun and I am a total nerd... Plus 7mm and 9mak is tough to find I did it.

To get start I bought a Lee kit, its not super fancy but it was a lot cheaper than the RCBS stuff a friend has and it works almost all the same. TItan Reloading.com

I read the pamphlets searched for a few days screwed down my press and started making rounds. It is nerve racking, till you get a system, especially when you screw up a few cases.

I load .243 for $0.41 each whereas the same box from Hornady is over 35 for 20 and from nosler even higher.

So that being said the Lee kit does not have Turret Micrometers the Powder throw is sort of accurate, and the scale is OK. It produces good rounds so far and I was rolling in all 3 calibers for under 225.00 for everything in under a day.

I shot over 150 rounds without a single FTF FTC or anyother malady. Also I only shot shotguns till January this year, and I rarely hunted or target shot more than once a year.

DO IT DO IT DO IT. Start with an affordable Lee see how you like it and slowly upgrade.

I wouldn't buy any used measuring equipment unless I could get it calibrated if I can check it out and verify its accuracy sure thing if not Nope...

Those kits will lose their luster very quick, imho. You start out with whatever they give you, then you learn how you want to do it and/or how to do it better, and you end up spending another 300 likely more on better equipment that suits you. I guess I never really bought into the idea of those kits. I say really do some homework for what you are reloading for, and find out the ins & outs of how each product works and what YOU would think will work best for you.. just as if you were buying a car.. I realize this is time consuming, but for me to say yeah buy this or buy that is not really going to cut it for you .. You have a gun you undoubtedly spent a good chunk of cabbage on, and you are no doubt going to spend a bunch on components anyway, so might as well do it right the first time.

*Disclaimer: I am in no way telling you to do one thing over the others , these are simply opinions based on life experiences, others have good options too. Buy what you desire within your own limits and knowledge base. Having said that, be prepared at this point in time to be subjected to lack of component supplies or extreme wait times if you do find components. It's a great hobby, but expensive and time consuming, but addictive! Have fun, be safe.:)

I decided first on what kind of shooting I wanted to do and wanted to achieve (accuracy), and learned what tools would best get me there. That meant some high quality equipment to make the best ammo possible. Forster, Redding, Wilson, and Sinclair are amongst the brands of tools used. The kits would never measure up for me, but perhaps for a less demanding shooter, they might be. Still, I think in time, most people will want to improve the tools they have.

Phil

Unless I knew the seller, I would not buy a used scale or powder measure. Phil mentions the brands I would try to find as well, I am sure there are a few we missed - Redding, Forster, Wilson, Sinclair.

Take into account we can't get any powder now I would suggest you do a lot of reading until powder becomes available. I have put off a rifle build until powder becomes available. ABC's of Reloading is a great start reading wise.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.