How to pass the time until the custom is ready?

The Oregonian

Let me say that I know a custom rifle these days takes an indefinite period of time and that smiths cannot be expected to give a firm date - so this is not a complaint thread at all.

But I am pulling my hair out because it should be getting somewhat close and I am excited to get it, shoot it, develop a load, etc. I have already gone on my deer hunt this year, but I swear I am soooo looking forward to getting it that I find myself getting the itch to buy a gun from the classifieds, though being a lefty there are only so many LH guns that hit the classifieds. And I ignore that devil on my shoulder, at least until a get this gun and play with it a while.

Duck season at least gives me a way to get a fix, and if I get extra time during the season I can go to the range with my factory 270, but man, I can't wait til it gets here.

I had to wait 10 months for mine from Hart. I preped brass, assembled the needed dies and other load stuff and loaded about 20 rounds for fireforming. 6.5-05 AI. so i dont know what you are having it chambered in, but, there is loading stuff you can do.

Gives you plenty of time to fanatasize about the adventures to come with the new rifle. Also, take the time to practice with what you have.

I know how you feel brother....

I'm waiting for a pair of customs that should be ready in the May / June time frame. What to do between now and then? I do all the shooting I can and play with the rifles I have, and take my lack of patience out on the local hog population!

Best way to pass the time, is to go buy a nice known accurate factory rifle, like a Remington 5R MilSpec, and work up a load for it, and go have some fun at the range. :D

Take up knitting??

It helps to have some other projects to keep yourself busy.... Time flies by if you don't think about it too much and before you know it, it's ready.

Would it make it better or worse if you?
Tell us the details
How long to make up your mind
Who is the smith
Why did you pick the caliber, color, stock, action, barrel... Blah blah blah

I've got one in the hopper with Dallas Lane. I don't care when he gets it done because I will have to pay the balance...with that said I can't wait to burn some powder.

Like little kids we are...

Would it make it better or worse if you?
Tell us the details
How long to make up your mind
Who is the smith
Why did you pick the caliber, color, stock, action, barrel... Blah blah blah

Like little kids we are...

This...

I'm looking into building one and would like to hear the thought process that you went through

In the mean time make a Christmas wish list of everything you wanted but didn't get two weeks ago. If anything it's fun to make one now then look at it 11 months from now.

Man, I feel for you guys who have to order from out of state smiths, or have to order from the big name guys who have huge wait times. I gather up my parts, and take it to my local smith, and depending on the time of year, it's either 1 or 2 weeks waiting period. If he's on a big out of town job, then it could take up to a month, but so far that's only happened once out of 6 rifles last year.

Mudrunner, shutup! lol!!

Sorry... I know that wasn't helpful, but I still think if you're having to wait 6 months or more for a rifle to be built, then I would refer back to my first post in this thread about buying an off-the-shelf known shooter, and shoot it in the mean-time. Then, when you get your custom, you'll have 2 nice rifles. Because as a gun collector/enthusiest...I can tell you that 2 is always better than 1, unless it's 1 gun in 2 pieces. LOL

Sorry... I know that wasn't helpful, but I still think if you're having to wait 6 months or more for a rifle to be built, then I would refer back to my first post in this thread about buying an off-the-shelf known shooter, and shoot it in the mean-time. Then, when you get your custom, you'll have 2 nice rifles. Because as a gun collector/enthusiest...I can tell you that 2 is always better than 1, unless it's 1 gun in 2 pieces. LOL

so I was jokingly just telling you to quit bragging that you have a good smith close. I Have a Lathe and could do it myself, but just don't feel confident enoght in my skill to spend $500 on a barrel and reamer. I will soon. and I don't have a good smith that I know and with so many out there that aren't that woopy, I had to go with who I knew I could trust. which is why Jim Hart did the work. I didn't want to spend $1500 on a barrel and bolt and all that and then not have it the very best.

so I was just having fun with you a little because I am jealous!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.