How to make a .243 into a Ackley??

Dust270WSM

I have a Savage Predator in .243 and would like to make it into a Ackley Improved. Is it hard to do and expensive ?

You have to have a Smith recut the chamber and set back the threads. It's not that hard for a gunsmith to do. Pricing depends on the gunsmith, but you are going to loose about 1/2 an inch off of your barrel.

Dan

Yeah, Quite possibly.

However, that depends on your bullet/powder combo.

I am getting an Honest 3100FPS with a 100g Sierra Gameking and H414out of a 22" Barreled Ruger in a .243 AI with Safe Work up of the load. That's almost 150fps faster than a Standard .243 Win will get.

So It depends...

Dan

PS. case capacity increase is about 7%, so that should also figure in to the equation.

Well right know I'm gettin average a little over 3900 fps with 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips using h380.

It is a personal decision. If you have lots of money and time plus the cool factor intrigues you, then do it. My feelings are don't do it to this barrel.

It shoots now doesn't it? How many rounds have gone through the barrel? Why not wait till you wear out the barrel?

Besides gunsmithing, there are additional costs: best to use virgin brass for fireforming, and you will need custom dies.

My 24" 243 got 3050 fps with the 55 gr ballistic tip and Varget. I have a 6mm-284 which is a bit larger than the 243 AI and it got the 55 gr bullet to 3175 fps so what are you expecting to gain?

I must agree with AZshooter.

You probably shouldn't re-chamber this barrel. Considering what you are trying to achieve.

Your approach and mine are much different. It seems you are after light and fast. I am after heavy and slower, yet I wanted something that could throw a heavier bullet a bit faster than the standard. I also use mine for deer only (It was meant for a light weight deer rifle for my sons). I achieves this quite well.

You seem to be maxed out for velocity. Before re-chambering, I'd look at different powders first.

Hope this helps,

Dan

You have to have a Smith recut the chamber and set back the threads. It's not that hard for a gunsmith to do. Pricing depends on the gunsmith, but you are going to loose about 1/2 an inch off of your barrel.

Dan
You'd probably only loose a 1/16" of barrel. That's enough for the Ackley reamer to "clean-up" the original chamber.

You'd probably only loose a 1/16" of barrel. That's enough for the Ackley reamer to "clean-up" the original chamber.

+1

I normally figure one thread will do it.

Going to an Ackley does several things for you.

First It freshens up the lead and chamber with minimal chambering, It allows for a broader selection of powders and bullets because of the slight increase in capacity, But as much as anything It improves the brass life. (And with todays brass shortage that Can be important).

There is a misconception that you make your standard cartridge into an Ackley to gain velocity,
That is one of the benefits but not the main reason for doing an Ackley.

The case design is improved for more efficiency(They will normally produce more velocity with less powder than another design). A good example is the 280 AI. It will produce more velocity than the 7 Rem Mag with less powder.

As mentioned before, case life is greatly extended because the body taper and shoulder angle minimizes brass flow and all but eliminates trimming the case length often as with the standard case design.

In My opinion turning a cartridge into an Ackley Improved has no down side except cost and in the long run cost will be offset by other benefits.

Going to an Ackley is not for everyone, But most that have not been sorry and most are glad they did.

Just another opinion

J E CUSTOM

It is a personal decision. If you have lots of money and time plus the cool factor intrigues you, then do it. My feelings are don't do it to this barrel.

It shoots now doesn't it? How many rounds have gone through the barrel? Why not wait till you wear out the barrel?

Besides gunsmithing, there are additional costs: best to use virgin brass for fireforming, and you will need custom dies.

My 24" 243 got 3050 fps with the 55 gr ballistic tip and Varget. I have a 6mm-284 which is a bit larger than the 243 AI and it got the 55 gr bullet to 3175 fps so what are you expecting to gain?
Your only getting 3050 fps with the 55 gr ballistic tip in your 243 and 3175 in your 6mm-284??
That's got to be a typo

I wasn't quite sure how much was lost in rechambering, JE certainly know more than I do about such things. I thought it was 1/2 inch. He's also correct about the benefits of the improved case. I have 2 .243 winchesters and 1 .243 ai and wish that all were Ackleys. I can't afford to do them all.

I would say if you know the round count on the bbl then that would certainly help in making the decision

Dan

Velvetant,

You are right it was a typo! I don't know what I was thinking. I grabbed those off the top of my head and used a 3 instead of a 4! Thanks for pointing that out.

It was 4050 fps for the 55 from the 243 and 4175 fps for the 6mm-284 also 55 gr nos bt both with 24" barrels. Now I am looking at my notes. Both used varget.

I would place the 243 AI somewhere in between THOSE two velocities.

If i were going to go to the trouble I think I would choose to recut and use the 6mm rem cas, i. e. 6mm rem ack, as thatwill leave you with a longer neck and more capacity than the 243 ack yet with the longer neck and sharper shoulder erosion will be no worse although using those light fast loads is a barrel burner no matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.