Rebarrel a 243 into a 260

gilmillan1

Does anyone know where I can rebarrel a remington 700 243 into a 260. I want a quality barrel, maybe a krieger. I got a nice set up on the 243 but I want the better ballistic of the 260 to shoot paper and steel at 1000 yards.

anyone?

Does anyone know where I can rebarrel a remington 700 243 into a 260. I want a quality barrel, maybe a krieger. I got a nice set up on the 243 but I want the better ballistic of the 260 to shoot paper and steel at 1000 yards.

anyone?

Where are you located - there are a lot of sponsors on this site that could do it.

JE Custom can do it and then hill country rifles in New Braunfels, texas. HCR usually charges 900 which is a new barrel, chamberings, and truing/rethreading your receiver.

anyone?

I did exactly what you want to do. I went with a Brux barrel and medium weight.

340 for the barrel and 2XX..?? to chamber and install it.

BTW...Ive got a Remington 243 barrel here I want to get rid of if you know anyone

I did exactly what you want to do. I went with a Brux barrel and medium weight.

340 for the barrel and 2XX..?? to chamber and install it.

BTW...Ive got a Remington 243 barrel here I want to get rid of if you know anyone

Did your smith true your receiver and threads? HCR provides the barrel. That and the receiver truing/truing threads is where the majority of the money goes. If you purchase the barrel on your own and have a local smith chamber and do factory threads you're still in the 600 dollar ball park.

JE Custom can do it and then hill country rifles in New Braunfels, texas. HCR usually charges 900 which is a new barrel, chamberings, and truing/rethreading your receiver.
And that's why I use a local guy who just smiths as a side-project. He's been at it for 20+ years, and knows as much as anyone who does it professionally. His prices are incredibly reasonable, because he's not in it to make a living off of smithing. He just does it to help out friends and people he knows. Plus, I'm sure he's alot like me, and just enjoys tinkering with guns as much as possible.

I would love to be a gunsmith, atleast just knowledgeable enough to tinker with my own stuff, with a full-size lathe, mini-lathe, and a milling machine.

Did your smith true your receiver and threads? HCR provides the barrel. That and the receiver truing/truing threads is where the majority of the money goes. If you purchase the barrel on your own and have a local smith chamber and do factory threads you're still in the 600 dollar ball park.
Is that what smiths in your area charge for that? WOW! I need to get my gunsmithing diploma and move up to your area. Holy moses... Most smiths around here would charge $300 ($400 tops) to true the action and bolt face, chamber and fit the barrel, float the barrel, bed the action, trigger job, etc... Pretty much the works, if you already have the rifle and barrel.

My rifle smith did everything that was required to keep me on the straight and narrow. He builds MANY fine target rifles yearly and knows fully what he is doing

With a barrel at ~400, ~600 for the work to start is about as good as it's going to get.

I got a Pac-Nor prefit, lot's of bells and whistles. Lots of $$$.

Since it was so close to 'done' the smith charged only $50 to do the R and I. Still above $600 but worth every penny.

You have to pay for the machine work at some end of the process. Back yard smiths can do a fine job, inexpensively. A boutique smith will stand behind his work especially if he sources the barrel, he will have to charge more to allow for building costs, utilities etc.. The boutique smith is a business man and needs to charge accordingly.

The back yard smith may only be doing it to justify buying his tools to his wife/her husband (well we can hope for a lady smith :D), does not pay rent on a shop, utilities are included with the house. Perhaps no liability insurance beyond his home owners. You get the picture.

My smith is sort of in between. He works out of his yard but now 'semi' retired not as much as he used to. I like him and his work. Some don't like him so much but can't fault his work.

With a barrel at ~400, ~600 for the work to start is about as good as it's going to get.

I got a Pac-Nor prefit, lot's of bells and whistles. Lots of $$$.

Since it was so close to 'done' the smith charged only $50 to do the R and I. Still above $600 but worth every penny.

You have to pay for the machine work at some end of the process. Back yard smiths can do a fine job, inexpensively. A boutique smith will stand behind his work especially if he sources the barrel, he will have to charge more to allow for building costs, utilities etc.. The boutique smith is a business man and needs to charge accordingly.

The back yard smith may only be doing it to justify buying his tools to his wife/her husband (well we can hope for a lady smith :D), does not pay rent on a shop, utilities are included with the house. Perhaps no liability insurance beyond his home owners. You get the picture.

My smith is sort of in between. He works out of his yard but now 'semi' retired not as much as he used to. I like him and his work. Some don't like him so much but can't fault his work.
My smith is the same way. Professional machinist by day, gunsmith by night. Close to retirement from his day job. He just does the gunsmithing because he enjoys it, and it makes him a little cash on the side. He is probably the best machinst in my city. He is kind of a crochety grumpy guy, and very particular...But he really knows his stuff, and his work speaks for itself. Once he warms up to you, he's a really cool guy.

My smith is the same way. Professional machinist by day, gunsmith by night. Close to retirement from his day job. He just does the gunsmithing because he enjoys it, and it makes him a little cash on the side. He is probably the best machinst in my city. He is kind of a crochety grumpy guy, and very particular...But he really knows his stuff, and his work speaks for itself. Once he warms up to you, he's a really cool guy.
Yeah, that's him!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.