How to develop a new load?

This is my way.

Seat the bullet to the max length that will work in your mag an not be touching the lands. I then work up the load 1 shot per charge weight all aimed at the same spot watching the vel. Once top end vel or max published load is reached, then shoot several of that load for accuracy and to check es and get an average vel. Assuming vel spread is under 30 fps then make seating depth adjustments (if needed) to tighten the group size. Adjust seating depth 2 thousands or 1/4 turn deeper per adjustment. If 1st two shots do not group well there is no point in shooting a 3rd. It won't make the group better. A few adjustments should find a good spot. Then zero the rifle.

I like to do this at 200y. Like most here I always load with a chrono.

As a new reloader without a tutor it is difficult to detect pressure signs. Bolt lift, signs on the brass. This is where a chrono comes in very handy. If your vel is too high do is your pressure.

We have a better outline of our loading process on our home page. It works exceptionally well with our bullets but will likely be a longer process with others.

Steve

Almost exactly how I do it and I have found the seating depth seems to always work. I have found this especially true with Berger Hybrid bullets. Like many have posted on here double check your work and pay attention to what you're doing.

So I finally got around to shooting some of my new reloads. My first mistake was in not reading a reloading manual before I started so I just took some factory rounds and used those for my oacl and loaded up 20 rounds starting at 55 gr of h4831 and going up half a gr increments. I had groups anywhere from 1.5 in to 2 in. My oacl was 3.26 :eek: way to short I discovered once I read the nosler reloading manual I got since I loaded up the first ones. Someone had also recommended I check out the Berger seating depth test and I didn't get that done either until now. My chamber is maximum S.A.A.M.I O.A.C.L. at 3.34 in. My oacl was .05 to .065 longer than what Nosler recommends.

Yeah, Those books/manuals work much better when opened. ;) Don't forget your playing with gun powder. Don't want to make to big a mistake.:eek: Things can go south in the click of a trigger.

Thanks for following up! How does your rifle shoot with factory ammo?

One thing to keep in mind is the difference between chamber and magazine.

CHAMBER does not care about OACL. CBTO is what matters.

MAGAZINE does not care what CBTO is, but it does limit OACL.

One thing I like to do when loading for a new rifle is to find the lands. I make up a 'dummy' round (no powder or primer). Just a bullet in a case, seated out really far, I'll slowly increase the seating depth (half turn at a time) until I can close the bolt on the dummy. This indicates where the lands are. For a precise measurement, I use layup die/smoke residue/jiffy marker on the bullet so i can see the points of contact with the lands.

If you could post a picture of your group? I can maybe take a look tonight. Or message them to me is fine also.

IMG_20181106_141327866.jpg

I don't have a 12 in target so I just used this 6 in and the reason there is so many holes because I was using the same target and just using the little black replacement dots they sent along with the target. I would've taken pictures of each grouping but it was so pitiful I didn't even want to take pictures. My groups kept climbing up because of the progressively bigger powder charges. So partways through I had to adjust 2 in. down to stay on target.

At least you are on the target. It looks like you are at least headed in the right direction. One thing that you may already be doing, but deserves mentioning is to always use the same components. ie..always use the same brand of brass, primers, etc. I have seen people use mixed bags of brass and that can cause a whole mess of issues and confuse a new reloader. Stay consistent and keep asking questions. With the Nosler bullets i always found that somewhere between .010" and .020" worked pretty well for jump to the lands. Of course your rifle may be different. But you seem to be working through things just fine. Don't get frustrated with those groups, you will get it figured out.

IMG_20181106_151435958.jpg

That's two different groups that ran into each other. This is 55 gr and 57 gr seated .010 off the lands. 2 in groups again.

I see 2 nice shots and a flyer each. You're getting there. How much time in between shots? All 3 270's I load for come together @ a higher charge. Just work up to it .5 gn at a time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.