How to blowup your rifle

That's what I understood also. But I don't claim to be an expert on gilding. Google hold's the answer...
no doubt.

Rich, I think it's just a terminology issue, every resource I can find gilding is a plating process where there is two distinct alloy layers. Even Nosler calls their copper an alloy not gilded?

After making my own bullets for several years and using various jackets, I can say that there definitely is a difference in amount of alloy used in the copper! Swift uses pure copper and I suspect Nosler is heavy on the alloy side. The AB also puts some alloy in their lead core to slow expansion. I suspect it is so they can use a thinner jacket (at least at the nose)

Outside of charge weight and other stated variables and At the risk of sounding like a moron, is it possible there was some ice buildup in the bbl? I don't see temps below freezing but maybe once or twice a year and am no expert on cold issues at all but if it sat on the bench for a while between strings and snow or damp weather was involved could bore obstruction be at play for your pressure spike?

You could build up some condensation in the right conditions, you should see it build on the outside of the barrel at the same time. But it is possible, wet bore and chamber might cause some issues.
Outside of charge weight and other stated variables and At the risk of sounding like a moron, is it possible there was some ice buildup in the bbl? I don't see temps below freezing but maybe once or twice a year and am no expert on cold issues at all but if it sat on the bench for a while between strings and snow or damp weather was involved could bore obstruction be at play for your pressure spike?

Here are a couple more pictures for you all.
KtM16ep.jpg

9FUMX9q.jpg

OxKailj.jpg

This mark on the bolt has been on there since day one

I shoot in weather ranging from +30C down to -20C and have never seen condensation outside the barrel. I am doubtful that there was some ice in there unless it was jammed into a snowbank.

The gouge / scratch in the bolt that is in the bottom picture in post #78 has been on the bolt since I picked up the rifle.

I shoot in weather ranging from +30C down to -20C and have never seen condensation outside the barrel. I am doubtful that there was some ice in there unless it was jammed into a snowbank.
True. The air is very very dry at -10. the moisture is actually frozen out of the air. Now, if the OP breathed on the bolt or cartridge or something. the moisture in his warm breath probably would have condensed and frozen on the cold metal in a heartbeat.

Only time I ever heard of a bolt hitting the shooter's skull. The guy survived, without too much permanent damage.
Nope. There is photo documentation of a bolt stocking out the back of a dead guys head.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.