How Tight should your Stock be ?

700man

How tight should your stock in " pounds to make shoot it best?
I had the front and back screw set at 50"#s soes not shoot consistant.
Please tell me what you set your rifle on. Thanks in advance!

700man,

I normally tighten both action screws to 65 inch/lbs. From what I have seen, somewhere in the 60 to 70 is pretty much where most shooters set theirs depending on the action and stock. I assume you are using a torque wrench?

Is your stock bedded and barrel floated? If it is not you should consider bedding it or having it done. You can very easily have a "high" spot or two in you stock channel and even though you have the screws tight, the action may still be moving around at each shot.

How tight should your stock in " pounds to make shoot it best?
I had the front and back screw set at 50"#s soes not shoot consistant.
Please tell me what you set your rifle on. Thanks in advance!

Do a search on Torque Recommendations And that should answer all of your questions.

J E CUSTOM

I start at 35 lbs. then work up. Depending on rifle, I have guite a few wood, but favor composite , I see how they shoot. I break my wood guns down after season for maintenance, my rifles are all bed and some quite tight to get out of the stock.But I have older blued actions and I like to keep the rust at bay

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.