how are you guys texturing your stock

tjonh2001

Im am going to texture my stock and am wondering what you guys are useing to make your texture in marine tex? are you sanding the stock before apply the marine tex?

The couple that I have done were the injection molded kind that doesen't respond well to anything sticking to it , I scuffed the heck out of it with 40grit sand paper and drilled a bunch of 1/4" holes about 1/8" deep of so , this way the epoxy has somthing to get into and lock hold of.

I used the Devcon Plastic Steel putty and smeared it into the holes reay well and ended up leaving about a 1/8" layer on the stock where I wanted the texture , had to wait a while till it started to set up and the first time I tried the tapping method with a small paint stir stick the second time i used a little roler i made out of a piece of heavy knurled aluminum , it takes a few tries but eventualy you can get it to look like it was checkerd. I also tried just useing some 36 grit sand paper and just pressing it to the bedding compound as it was semi setup and that worked ok as well. The best thing to do is try a few differant things with the bedding material setup at differant time before you get to work on the stock.

Also you'll want to use some sort of release agent , I found that a very lite sprinkle of some fine talcum powder worked well , just dust the bedding rather than the thing your gonna use for the texture , think of it like roling out dough for bread.

I just spray mine with pick up truck bed liner and get the results I desire.

I'm about to sneak into the arena described by James Jones.

I'll do everything as he stated except for holes as I'm going over wood and body filler etc.

When the Devcon gets to the appropriate tackiness, I'll pat it with the rough side of velcro or softly with a small wire brush or with a very small wire mesh.

The roller that comes with the paint on truck bed liner may well work well. It's pretty much like the rough side of velcro.

The first go will be quite experimental.;)

Let us know of your results.

Tjonh

I like a process called stippling.(Some call it texturing)

I use a vibrating tool that is used to engrave tools.this tool
is very cheap (Under $10.00).

First I lay out the area the shape and size (Like the border
around checkering.

Using the tool I start filling in the area laid out until I get the desired
effect.

After it is finished I like to stain this area black on wood stocks,

It works well on wood and plastic stocks. The end results depend on how hard
you press down on the tool.

Some of the early target rifles were done this way.

I haven't tried it on the new tupper ware stocks but it should work fine and you
dont have to worry about something sticking or not to the stock.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.