how often "honestly" do most here shoot past 500 yards

window licker

Was wondering how many of you guys shoot past the 500 Mark with frequency. I am fortunate enough to have a area on the ranch I live on with steel set up out to 1990 yards. I know most don't have that luxury but am curious to see what the average distance most actually shoot at. thanks in advance for the info. ps anybody in the area of billings that wants to come out "once we get some rain of course" pm me your more than welcome.

The longest distance that I have shot at is 700 yards (steel) with my 25-06. I am hoping to take an antelope this year at around 600 to 650ish. That will be my longest shot to date on an animal.

I am still waiting on the Stiller action to be made for my 338 LM and then I will start stretching it out for a lot longer distances.

My private range I shoot to a mile on steel. Then from my back door I have rocks to 2500 plus with some painted circles on some. Plus I have many good places to go to shoot rocks to as far as one would want. As for how often I shoot past 500 it is at least once a week. Under 500 I only do load work up at 300 and zero at 100 and 200. If you are up this way give me a shout. We can do a little shooting.

Jeff

My private range I shoot to a mile on steel. Then from my back door I have rocks to 2500 plus with some painted circles on some. Plus I have many good places to go to shoot rocks to as far as one would want. As for how often I shoot past 500 it is at least once a week. Under 500 I only do load work up at 300 and zero at 100 and 200. If you are up this way give me a shout. We can do a little shooting.

Jeff

Nice, the rock shooting is always a good time. as far as my range goes I have three targets under 400 yards the core of them are in the 500-1000 mark with a few past that. Working on a 300 Norma right now for the 1990 target.

About 60% of my shooting is from 500-1000.
10% is past 1000 to 1500.
25% is at 100.
5% is at 300.
I do load work at 100 & zero, & check group size for load work at 300.

I don't do much target shooting. Most of my shooting is on predators and in general the ranges are going to be between 400-700yds 90% of the time.

I have one spot set up where I shoot rocks at 1080 (back side of a tank dam) and there's not a whole lot of challenge there any more so I do it every so often more just to check and make sure my scopes are still on.

I have two new rifle projects under way and once they are complete I'll probably spend a good bit of time with each of them out to the 1080 rock but again, once I have them where I want them that'll pretty much be that.

During the summer I do take the .260 AR our quite often along with the .220 swift just to splat rocks at various ranges in my neighbor's field. I do this primarily to keep my eyes sharp on estimating ranges and most shots will be from 400-800yds.

Rarely do I burn up more than 10-20rds in an outing though as I just consider it to be wasteful.

Coyotes have been thinned out pretty good in the area I live. I would like to test that long target with you when you get that 300 Norma ready. I am going to continue to increase the yardage on the 7 3/4 pound Mcmillan Outdoorsman test rifle and see how far I can accurately shoot it. The rifle will do it if I can hold it steady enough.

22's- 50 to 150 yards at least twice a week (i can stop for quick range sessions on my way to work), 200- 400 once or twice a month- it's fun getting my *** handed to me by the wind!

270- still have a little load development to do (went up to 150 gr bullets), but i always take a few shots at 600-800 when i get time- it was more than twice a week this spring, but it's been neglected for the last month or so due to work & playing with the 338

338LM- just got my 111 rejiggered & zeroed- had to send it in once & then do some surgery on the stock. nothing past 100 yet, but i'll be checking dope this week for my 111 & a friend's 110BA. hopefully we can get them dialed out to 1500 or so.

all in all, since april i've averaged about once a week for 500+ yard shooting. two months of being unemployed gave me tons of range time. now i just need to find some spots to stretch it out on my way to & from work. if i can find an easily accessible spot that's close enough to the highway, i can see myself being able to do some long shots 2-3 times a week with the 270- i can spot my own shots past 400 with that gun. not sure how well that's gonna work with the 338...

Coyotes have been thinned out pretty good in the area I live. I would like to test that long target with you when you get that 300 Norma ready. I am going to continue to increase the yardage on the 7 3/4 pound Mcmillan Outdoorsman test rifle and see how far I can accurately shoot it. The rifle will do it if I can hold it steady enough.

i am waiting on the reamer as of now well two reamers actually i have a 22x47 lapua barrel waiting for a reamer on that also for my coyote rifle. i dont think it will be more than a month or so to get them both up and running. we need some rain out here before i do any shooting pretty dry as of now. 7 3/4 pound mcmillan sounds sweet they do make a great rifle. i think the lightest rifle i have is twelve pounds but i do like the chunky nighforce scopes.

i am waiting on the reamer as of now well two reamers actually i have a 22x47 lapua barrel waiting for a reamer on that also for my coyote rifle. i dont think it will be more than a month or so to get them both up and running. we need some rain out here before i do any shooting pretty dry as of now. 7 3/4 pound mcmillan sounds sweet they do make a great rifle. i think the lightest rifle i have is twelve pounds but i do like the chunky nighforce scopes.
Don't feel bad on the scopes. My next scope is going to be a 4-28x56 40mm tube IOR HA! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.