How often do you check your zero

Iden

I was out practicing with my rifle setup the other day, and I was continuously shooting high and to the left! This had me puzzled so I went to the range to confirm my zero and wouldn't u know it I was high and to the left! Not by much just a couple clicks both ways, but still off! My question is how often do you all check your zero? Has this ever happened to any of you! If so what did u find was the problem?
My optic setup is as follows:
Nightforce scope
Weaver one piece base
Burris z-rings

How often do I check my zero......Every time I shoot. LOL

If you are referring to strictly hunting rifles, that don't leave the safe much, other than to go to the woods, I don't own any of those...All my rifles get shot all the time. However, before I started handloading, and developting loads, they did alot of sitting around in the safe. And in that case, I took them out right before hunting season and checked them every year so I knew they were accurate. If the scope got bumped a little hard, I would take it and check zero again.

With your problem it could be something loose. I'd retorque everything to be on the safe-side.

For me: whenever I change bullet or powder lots, traveling, or if I feel a bump has occured. I had a bump last year and my scope was way off. I rezero'd and it was been shooting well since.

Thanks to both of u for ur help! I will run through my scope, rings, and bases and re-torque them. I guess I'm just trying to find out if any of u guys check ur rifles zero at some sort of intervals! Like every so many rounds or after cleaning? Just curious! Thanks

Prior to every significant hunting venture, whenever the rifle scope setup takes a significant bump. I try to check it prior to every back pack-in hunt. The most common reason I've missed or experienced poor hits on game animals is because my riflescopes have been knocked off zero. Ticks me off every time it's happened. And I baby my rifle/scope as much as possible. Still - it happens.

Everytime I squeeze the trigger I critique the shoot. I only make adjustments on a shot barrel and a cold barrel. Wood conventional stocks will change POI much more often. Funny thing the Ruger number 1 changes year to year but I have 3 Krighoff drillings that have never changed POI? not to hijack the thread but I do not under stand that. Does any one else?

When I Groundhog hunt! If I can hit the pig, it's on! Have not changed scopes, loads for year's. Had my Deer rifle out in May and it was on at 4 to 430 yds. Will use it again when the Corn and Soybeans come down. If one field is mowed soon, aahh then the 5-735 yds. open up. Been waiting!!!

hogginking

Every time I go hunting I fire at least one cold bore round at a distant target, if I'm of then I check up closer at the range if I'm on then I'm GTG. I go through about a 100 rounds just just hunting season but it keeps me sharp!

Most days I am horse back so I check my zero almost every night at my 100 yard range with a flash light on the target! After a long day of kicking my rifle all day a lot of time she will be off, but usually not much. My rifle that rides on the pack horse gets checked at least once a week at home.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. This whole ordeal has really opened my eyes to the fact that I need to check my zero more often! Definitely after a major event like horse back riding or backpacking has taken place! Just out of curiosity what type of scopes are you guys/gals useing. Just wondering if this hapens most with a certain brand of scope, or if it is the same across the board.

I can't afford to use 1 specific brand...I wish I could. Usually the guys who use 1 specific high-end brand make ALOT more money than I do, or they get kick-backs and get them for free, or extreme discount that us normal folks don't get.

I would be happy with just 1 Nightforce 5.5-22x56 HS ZS MOAR and swap it amongst my hunting rifles, but I need to sell some other stuff first...Which I will definitely be doing.

I am also a huge Zeiss fan. My most often used hunting rifles have Zeiss scopes on them. For the money, I really don't think they can be beat. They are incredibly clear and the lens coating is phenomenal. The clicks are highly repeatable and solid. 99% of the time they stay dead-on and I never have to touch them, unless I change up my load or swap the scope onto a different rifle, which I seem to be doing alot lately, for some reason...And I really don't have an answer as to why.

In the Western Montana mountains, rifles can get banged around a lot due to steep terrain and snow. My mountain rifle is a lightweight stainless Ruger bolt 30-06 with a Leupold VX3. With Ruger steel rings on their machined receiver, I have never in 9 years and well over a thousand hours of hunting on foot had this rifle lose it's zero in spite of my having slipped and dropped it hard several times. I check Zero once a year anyway. This rifle is not used for shots over 300 yards.

Although their barrels tend to be better than Rugers, Savage and Remington bolt guns utilize the puny machine screws to attach bases for scope mounting and If I was using one of them I would make sure my bases and rings are steel, not aluminum and check the Zero anytime I think the scope might have been bumped hard.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.