How much ATV is enough?

I have both a side by side ( 18'Honda pioneer 1000-5) and a four-wheeler ( 10' Suzuki king 500)and in almost all instances the side by side is far better. It is way more stable over all terrains, more comfortable ride, more load capacity and passenger capacity. Another big plus for me is that the side by side has a windshield and a top, very nice in bad weather. The only thing that my 4-wheeler gets used for now is my boys use it for chores around the house and a loaner for people that don't have a ride of their own.
Try a side by side, you won't regret it. I definitely will not be buying anymore 4-wheelers in the future.

Been kicking around getting a sxs(so the better half can go to) too many bad memories of the old three wheelers to try a quad.
By the time a guy gets a sxs set up the way you want it a good used Taco looks inviting?

Had 4 Quad ATV's before I bought my first SXS last year. I plowed with the Grizz 700 and the power steering was incredible. I was worried the trails I have ridden in the past were not wide enough for SXS. I was WRONG!. SXS haven taken over the market. My son is working part time for a dealer while attending college. They are the highest selling UTV dealer in PA. They have just a handful of ATV but sell multiple UTV a day. I have no idea where the folks are getting their money. Anyway. I bought Polaris General because the Yamaha Wolverine has a weird door/seat. I have been able to go anywhere I need, haul a second person and loads of gear. I use it for sporting clays, yard work and currently my 15 year old is "learning to drive" in it. Its a lot more money but you are getting a Jeep like vehicle.

did you know Suzuki made the First 4 wheelers !!! , mines a 500 Vinson 2004 with automatic transmission , never needed more power and its been everything ive wanted in a 4 wheeler , choose wisely , cheers!

Update guys, thanks for all the comments. I decided to get another Polaris 570 with EPS for my son. Well, truth be told, he's paying for half of it, as my wife and I told him we'd meet him half way if he had the discipline to save. It took him 2 years but he did it. We pick it up Saturday.

I used to have a Yamaha Kodiak, then a Yamaha Grizzly, then a Yamaha Rhino (hence my Username) and now a Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS Hunter Edition SXS. I've modded it out for hunting purpsoes. I swear my Wolverine is part billy-goat. It'll go freakin' anywhere. It's made for trails, not fire roads or dunes though.

IMG_2229.JPG

Currently I have a 500 Honda and this thing is a monster when it comes to work. it is big and heavy, but can go places that I shouldn't.

The next one I get will be a 350 or 400, for many reasons. As it is I seldom use 4th or 5th gear because of the speed and don't think about needing any more.

In the mountains, I found that the best machine for getting arround and going places that other machines the 300 4 x 4 was cat like and was light enough to handle much like a dirt bike with 4 wheels.

If I had known then what I know now, I would still own the 300. The horse power bug bit me just like everyone else, but I have since found out what is realy necessary and practical.

J E CUSTOM
I have a Honda rancher 300 4 x 4 electronic shift with a winch of course I love it very nimble small enough to fit in tight timber not quite as tippy as the 250 recon not quite the power of the 500 will go nearly 50 on flat ground wide open but I don't have the need for speed it's just a deer Dragger and does anything I ask of it very great on gas

Last edited:
I could get through tight trails so much better on my little Kawasaki prairie 360 than my buddy could on his 750 quadzilla. He could smoke me on straight roads though

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.