How Much Ammo Do You Keep?

cohunter14

This is kind of a two part question, but how much ammo for any given gun/handgun do you keep on hand? To go along with that same question, how long do you keep loaded ammunition before you don't feel comfortable using it?

I would like to continue loading up more and more rounds, especially given some of the things happening in our country right now, but I don't want to end up wasting money by having a bunch of rounds that don't get used within their usable time-frame. Thoughts?

Just enough for the next hunting season and the amount I figure I'll need for practice up to that time.

Now - I'm glad you didn't ask how much powder, primers and bullets do you have stocked up on.

this is not a question u ask on the internet and and on this site. very onomus question.

Wow, didn't realize I was asking for your social security number. People post all about what guns they have on here. A bunch of people even have a list of them in their signature. But asking about how much ammo you keep loaded up for them is all of a sudden crossing the line? Give me a break.

For cowboy and others who keep reloading supplies: is there a reason you keep the supplies on hand instead of loading them up? Just curious on that as well.

Does everyone else agree that ammo can basically last forever if kept dry? Is there a time limit any of you put on your ammo?

"Does everyone else agree that ammo can basically last forever if kept dry? Is there a time limit any of you put on your ammo?"

Thats why I pack mine in 50 cal or "fat 50" ammo cans. It'll last inside one of those for at least 45 years.

I just shot up some 300 win mag ammo that I loaded approx. 45 years ago. Was using it for barrel break in plus getting the rifle sort of sighted in (on paper). This ammo shot under 1/2 groups at 100 yards. Yes I could go back through all my paper work and find out what load it was, but don't think I'd live another 45 years to let it age properly:D. So I guess in my opinion, if kept dry, it will keep for a considerable time. One reason I don't load a bunch of ammo in advance. Things are always changing. New bullets, decide to use a different rifle etc. So why have my supplies tied up in something I'm not using.

I just shot up some 300 win mag ammo that I loaded approx. 45 years ago. Was using it for barrel break in plus getting the rifle sort of sighted in (on paper). This ammo shot under 1/2 groups at 100 yards. Yes I could go back through all my paper work and find out what load it was, but don't think I'd live another 45 years to let it age properly:D. So I guess in my opinion, if kept dry, it will keep for a considerable time. One reason I don't load a bunch of ammo in advance. Things are always changing. New bullets, decide to use a different rifle etc. So why have my supplies tied up in something I'm not using.

Very helpful and good point on not loading them up. Thanks!

I keep a few hundred rounds of factory ammo for my pistols and 22's just to play with. Im by no means a hoarder.

I try not to load to many of my precision rifle rounds at any given time. I like to keep it around 50-100 a rifle. Mainly so i dont forget any particular thing i may have changed during the process. Too many rounds on different firings for different rifles gets confusing in a hurry.

On componets, i like to buy 5 pounders of powder, and bullets at least 200 at a time just so i have some time to work with a given lot. I try not to mix and match if i dont absolutely have to.

There is some concern that for very accurate ammunition it can "cold weld" over time. At least that the tension can change. There is still WWII ammunition that works, but accuracy level would not be the best.

For hunting, just enough for the season but plenty for future reloads.

For the zombies/apocalypse, that's a totally different story. :cool:gun)

It depends on the purpose.

Ammo for self defense, precision purposes, or an important hunt has to be current.

Zombies are about the only things that move slower than I do, so I worry less about a hang fire or 2. Hell, I might even be able to go full ginsu/benihana warrior with a kitchen knife on those. At least until nap time.

Components are something I often by on a whim, or towards the day I have the time to use them, and then my ADHD kicks in. I have a couple of thousand 30 year old Speer .224's on the shelf for a Mini 14 I sold before I got enough brass to start the project. This may change this year, I have some kids to take sage rat hunting in the spring, I have 18 lbs of .223 brass from last years hunt. I'm thinking a reloading party Christmas break is in order, and yes it's still CHRISTMAS break at my house.

I've got some powder cans I picked up just cause they're old, and look cool on the shelf, and some I need to get busy moving off the shelf.

Primers, I'm better at going through, but some linger, and some I bought against the time I can't get any. My Federal 215M's dwindle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts