How do you figure windage?

NeedForSpeed

If you know muzzle velocity and BC it's pretty easy to figure elevation.

Windage is more challenging. I've seen a formula that says .1 moa for every 10 mph of wind and every 100 yds - has anybody tried this?
How do you calculate windage corrections absent a Kestrel or some other computer?
At what distance do you start considering making the correction?

Kinda difficult question. Past 300 yards, you'll need some correction unless it's very slight. But inside 300, drop typically doesn't matter either. So if you are talking about long shots on living critters, you will start needing "computer" at much past that anyway. Pretty small chance of a lethal first shot on something 700 yards away without a rangefinder and a drop/windage chart at minimum. A guess at the wind is usually decent with a little practice and a good look at grass or trees at a few places between. I try to wait on the moments of calm, and hunt mostly dawn and dusk when wind is down. I dont have anything Else besides a rangefinder.

So Not really an answer to ur question but maybe a compromise? "Less computer"?

Screenshot_20220125-101326_Strelok.jpg

Screenshot_20220125-101307_Strelok.jpg
Screenshot_20220125-101448_Strelok.jpg

Last edited:
Numerous ballistics calculators will provide the laboratory solution. As a point of reference you should have a standard printed on your stock range card (eg: full value wind at 10 mph drift in 100 yard increments). Beyond that doping the wind becomes more learned art than wrote science. Reading mirage, dust, leaves, grass movement is illustrated in many sources. But you must observe and learn. Complicating this is the fact that at your position wind may differ from that blowing at the target's range and intervals in-between. It is a judgment call. If uncertain, leave the safety on and hunt in closer. Enjoy the hunt and your prep's leading to it.

I don't correct for wind inside 300 yrd on big game unless it was extremely windy. It will depend on target size obviously. Even with a kestrel you will need to learn to read the wind. Yes it might tell you most of the time in level areas. At longer ranges especially in topography the wind will not be constant or same direction during the flight of the bullet. Get a kestrel, read the wind and mirage and have fun it is the best part of long range shooting. Your app and kestrel will speed up your learning curve but experience is everything

Thanks

Buck

Boom. Wind calculated.
20220125_083221.jpg

Depends on the round/load your using, and your target. If I'm shooting prairie dogs with a .223, I'll start looking at wind sooner than I do an elk with a 30 cal magnum. Depends on wind too. If it's light wind, like sub 5ish, I won't really start looking at wind until 400 yards. If it's a sustained 20 mph with gusts higher than that, I'm looking at what it's doing at like 200+. Really just Depends. Best way to figure it out, is "don't skip leg day", in other words, when it's super windy and challenging, make sure you shoot on those days. No other way to learn to read wind, then apply it, than doing it.

Last edited:
Boom. Wind calculated. View attachment 334349

Depends on the round/load your using, and your target. If I'm shooting prairie dogs with a .223, I'll start looking at wind sooner than I do an elk with a 30 cal magnum. Depends on wind too. If it's light wind, like sub 5ish, I won't really start looking at wind until 400 yards. If it's a sustained 20 mph with gusts higher than that, I'm looking at what it's doing at like 200+. Really just Depends. Best way to figure it out, is "don't skip leg day", in other words, when it's super windy and challenging, make sure you shoot on those days. No other way to learn to read wind, then apply it, than doing it.
I Use a calculator and a wind meter. Experience reading wind speed will come, use a meter until then. Then use a reticle that has hashmarks for the hold.Send it. It helps if you can retain the sight picture and call your own shots.