How many rifles does your wife think you own?

We have issues. I talked to a contractor today about this. He does the same with but with guitars. Has them sent to friends houses. Gets them in similar colors.

My wife HATES guns. She's a SJW liberal. The only purchase firearms related she ever made with me was when we got a safe. She wanted it to be "pretty" to match a closet.

She asked, one time, how many I had and she guessed 50! I laughed and said lower and left it at that.

To all the guys talking about "deceiving your wife is wrong" you either have really cool wives (read that as unicorns) or you're not married.

When you're dating, women promise you the world. As soon as you get married, share bills (whoops typo, meant pay their bills), get a house, have kids, you're on the bottom of the Totem pole. Deceiving might be bad, but so is making your wife literally cry when she finds out you have a $5,000 rifle.

BTW, I'm only 30, I sound like a 60 year old man who's on his 3rd wife. Haha
Man I don't even know you and I feel sorry for you! Women are hard enough to get along with, and here you are married to a "sjw/liberal" women.

Man I don't even know you and I feel sorry for you! Women are hard enough to get along with, and here you are married to a "sjw/liberal" women.

Yup, well we all have choices. I made that one. We get along fine minus the gun thing. She usually leaves me alone about it since she knows it's my one hard limit.

I think when we were getting married she was like "I'll convince him guns are stupid." When I was thinking "I'll convince her guns are awesome."

Well we both under estimated each other's passion about the topic. Haha

Well, she has agreed to let me put an addition on to the house to get my gun in 1 location.

The wife's cool with it. She owns several herself and enjoys shooting sports. These last several months of my builds being completed and coming home and a significant amount of money going out for them, she's like "Soooo, how much scope are you planning to put on top?" Um, well, honey, love of my life, I already bought 2 NF's and a March, so I'm good. "I think you need some new clothes and shoes, don't you agree? Happy wife, happy gun loon...Grins

Last edited:
She is a sweetheart and has always been pretty good about it....LOL, probably afraid I might start asking how many pairs of shoes she has...For the 45 years we've been married easily spent an order of magnitude greater then my obsession.

I have subscribed to the school of fish theory. They are all the same basic color, spiral fluted, similar stocks, one brand of scope. Leave one here, leave one there, leave some in cases, and never get them all together into one place. She isn't stupid but it's tough to pin them all down with this strategy. Saving scope boxes was nearly an undoing. Powder from the same lot is combined two into one can including 8#ers. Not only saves space but keeps the visual profile of the hoarding to acceptable levels. It's more of a game than anything.

I had a ton before we got married and have added quite a few since. She doesn't ask about any of it because I'm in the business and the large amount I had before we got married. The one thing I told her before we got married is don't screw with my guns or hunting and we will get along fine. She came from a non gun non hunting family. I tried to get her involved and she even took hunter ed but she didn't take to it. She is not a liberal though. She might have been when we met but I fixed that. She tries to complain about the days spent hunting sometimes but she is quickly reminded about the agreement we made before we got married and then life goes back to normal.

My wife has no idea, nor does she care. Everything is kept in one of the safes. Most of what I have now 'belong' to the grandson but are kept here because I have the safes. A lot of what I have have been custom built by myself and grandson, it's call 'quality time' with him. I have the shop, but I will say he is now a better lathe/mill operator than I am. Started teaching the grandson gun safety when he was young, then we went on to marksmanship/hunting and finally gunsmithing.
My wife is a painter and I have no idea how many tubes of paint, brushes, canvases or other related painting items she has. And you think a good quality brush is cheap, think again. I do know I need a bigger house because the walls are covered with her paintings and awards.

Like others, sometimes I'm not sure I know either. She patiently puts up with my addiction and considers portions of them a quasi-savings account. More than once, I've sold some off to handle a pop up emergency.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only low life out there that either lies about how much rifles cost, or how many you have. My wife currently thinks I have (1) rifle and it's magically changed colors and size from year to yesr. I actually have had (6) customs in 2 years and currently have (3). So let's hear it. I know I am not the only one who keeps the spouse in the dark about rifle cost/quantity.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.