How many of you have had isues with Savage package rifles?

Wild Bill G

I have worked lately with a few Savage packege rifles the ones that come with a scope mounted. The issue has been I have found oil under the bases and on the last one there was oil in the rings. From what I have learned these areas should be oil and dirt free. In fact the last rifle every thing was under tightened almost to being loose. Has any one else found these or other problems?

Long ago I was given a Savage Package rifle as my first centerfire rifle. After about 100 rounds the crosshairs turned 45* inside the scope lol It still held zero believe it or not but was awfully weird looking thru the scope. Granted, this was a LONG time ago but your question made me think of it. I'd be willing to bet they've improved since then.

t

The rifles I am refering to here are new rifles. One was my Bmag 17wsm brand new out of the box. I took the rings and bases off and there was a lot of oil under the bases. If this is common with most rifle packages of any make I would like to hear that too.

It is absolutely common with ANY package rifle. There is almost always oil under the rings and bases, and most importantly, in the mounting screw threads. Factory mounted scopes are rarely mounted square and true.

My Mossberg MVP came out of the box with a Weaver mount on the receiver. Even under virtually non-existent 5.56mm recoil, it quickly worked loose. The screws weren't tight and there was oil under the base and in the threads. Took it all apart, de-greased everything with brake cleaner, applied purple loctite to the mounting screws, torqued them down, re-mounted scope. Problem solved.

A friend of mine recently purchased a Rem 700 package rifle. Scope and mounts worked loose during barrel break-in. He also found the scope wasn't mounted squarely. Fix was the same as above.

Moral of the story: NEVER trust factory or store mounted scopes and mounts. ALWAYS remove, clean, degrease, mount and torque rings and mounts yourself. That is the ONLY way to ensure everything is mounted properly and securely.

I had wondered if it was just a Savage thing but it is not. One would wonder why the manufacturers would set their product up to fail.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.