How many of you hunt with benchrest stocks vs standard stocks?

Dave, shoot me an e-mail or message when you are heading to the beach or just over my way. I'll buy you lunch.

S1, she is a 700 action, but I will talk to the smith about flattening her belly or milling some angles in her. I would suppose the Bedding block would have to be modified in the HS tactical, but the MBR should be no problem to inlet correctly. Thanks for the tips, I'll be looking into them,...post haste.

The smith also makes his own, stiff recoil lug, and the barrel is capped off by a vais break. I guess I'm half way home
grin.gif

[ 04-17-2003: Message edited by: JustC ]

A small flat (6mm) at 6 o'clock and a tightly pinned thick recoil lug will help enormously.
wink.gif

Nice stock Dave. I went with the HS also, but in a wider forend (for using a 15" bull bag thrown on the hood or toolbox etc) and the adjustable cheek and LOP. It came in, in place of a mcmillan tactical that was ordered by the smith from a wholesaler, but after finding they didn't even have one, the 5 month wait was out of the question and I will be trying out that HS tactical instead.

We'll see how it works out,....looks like a nice stock though. I like my Sendero stocks, so this one should impress me a little more.
smile.gif

How do you find that your stock works from the bench,..... in a bag? or in a front rest? Does it ride well?

Thanks

A small rectangular flat indexed at 6 o'clock running parallel to the bore centerline, and planer to the ground when held to fire at 0 inclination. Starting at the recoil lug moving rearward, ending into the clearance space of the front of the mag. well.
wink.gif

JustC.....You might wanna look into The Master 1000 benchrest stock from John Hoover.I have found they track better than the MBR.....And he has a ton of them in stock....No waiting
grin.gif

Boyd, I just returned one I got from him. No problems with the actual stock, I liked it. But, I asked for one with the red/yellow flame, kind of like the one on Bill Shehane's site. When I got it, it was just to bright yellow and red, so i shipped it back and told him that I am going to try to find one in the darker colors and take a digital photo, them e-mail it to him, and see if he can produce those colors. As long as it is going to be on the bench at a match,.......might as well stand out!!
grin.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif

His design is nice, especially around the rear of the action where it is inletted for your thumb and angle of your hand. The front area seemed to me to be a great tracking surface also.

JustC

I get over that way once in a while but never for a trip to the beach. When I was in the Navy I had an arrangement with the sharks, I stay out of the water and they stay off dry land. It's been a LOT of years and we're still holding to our agreement(s). I came to this decision during a swim call we had in the Tongue Of The Ocean (I believe). We had been swimming for about 15 minutes when the sharks appeared, we went up the side of that submarine two and three at a time on a one person ladder. I also spent some time in Diego Garcia and there are BIG sharks there, BIG Manta Ray too!

[ 04-22-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]

How would ya like to stick a big 10/0 hook through his jaw, reel him in, and then cook him up on the grill? mako shark is gooood eatin
grin.gif

I try not to swim with them,..but grilling with them is different.
grin.gif
grin.gif

if you want a hunting rifle/stock but like the flat bottom for benchrest shooting try the hart accuracy rest. it is a device that attaches to the forend using the swivel or forend screw. has a wide flat bottom like the benchrest stocks.
h

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts