How many guys single feed?

Curious, because I have always single fed my 338 edge and rums because I seated the bigger bullets out so far. Became a habit and now I catch myself doing it with my rounds that will feed.
Have been using single shot actions in my rifles with BR actions and 40x actions and have epoxied single shot ramps in 700 actions. All have large diameter barrels which create a lot of leverage on the action especially with a big hole in bottom of action. No I dont carry such rifle around as I have a light rifle for that but when shooting long distance I like a heavier steadier gun shot from a rest. Even a varmint rifle I have is single shot with a sleeve. From a rest, second shots come quickly as cartridge box is just inches from loading port. Realizing the amount of pressure a 2 1/2 foot leverage bar (even a light barrel) has on the skinny little side rails of an action I have loaded rounds one at a time because my long range rifles are single shot

I have on occasion paid the insurance with a fast follow-up shot after a well placed, fatal shot. The animal drops at the shot, but gets back up on its feet and moving in reaction to the hit. Not so much a problem in open ground or shorter ranges, but at the longer ranges, with dense surrounding cover, and/or later in the day it can make a big difference with recovery. IMO.

Last edited:
At the range I single feed when using my Contender and Encore barrels. I do not single feed my bolt actions and MSR.

However, I always single feed when hunting. The last five years of hunting I use my encore in 270, 280, 50 black powder for whitetail does in Montana.

Better carry a larger caliber than a 38. That would only work well by putting the barrel in your mouth and pulling the trigger. That way you wouldn't feel any pain. 44 cal and larger, and a short barrel. No long barrels like 8" hard to carry and slow to drawn. You really think about it when hunting with a Bow. I carry a 500 S.W. in 4" with 350 grain copper plated Berry bullets blutnose, No hollow points. The animal huggers have really gotten things out of hand

SSS
Mike
Think you missed my point. I don't carry a 38 in bear country, I carry a 44 revolver. I was stating that while on duty (as a Deputy for my counties Sheriff's Department) that I would much prefer my duty Glock model 22 .40 s&w over a 6 shot 38 revolver, as that is what was used in the past, because my Glock has significantly more firepower.

It's a tracker like yours, 3" barrel plus port, light and handy for a chest rig.
Given any thought to the 460 Rowland: much faster, easier to shoot, lighter weight, more rounds, etc. Never owned or shot one: I did give it consideration to replace my 10mm semi which I shoot 200 or 220 gr hard cast lead bullets. Not proven advice by me, but just an alternative idea to share with you. I have confronted many big Brownies while fishing, 20 + years, on at least a dozen different rivers in Alaska + Kodiak Is. twice. No criticism meant here!

Given any thought to the 460 Rowland: much faster, easier to shoot, lighter weight, more rounds, etc. Never owned or shot one: I did give it consideration to replace my 10mm semi which I shoot 200 or 220 gr hard cast lead bullets. Not proven advice by me, but just an alternative idea to share with you. I have confronted many big Brownies while fishing, 20 + years, on at least a dozen different rivers in Alaska + Kodiak Is. twice. No criticism meant here!
Its just what I have. My buddy had a 460 rowland built on a kimber, it was a very nice gun and very accurate, but set up more for hunting as it had a red dot and a large compensator. Shot pretty slock though. I have thought about it, but I am pretty well trained with handguns, so I'm confident with what I have, my father gifted it to me so I can't really complain ha ha

Have been using single shot actions in my rifles with BR actions and 40x actions and have epoxied single shot ramps in 700 actions. All have large diameter barrels which create a lot of leverage on the action especially with a big hole in bottom of action. No I dont carry such rifle around as I have a light rifle for that but when shooting long distance I like a heavier steadier gun shot from a rest. Even a varmint rifle I have is single shot with a sleeve. From a rest, second shots come quickly as cartridge box is just inches from loading port. Realizing the amount of pressure a 2 1/2 foot leverage bar (even a light barrel) has on the skinny little side rails of an action I have loaded rounds one at a time because my long range rifles are single shot

I single round feed everything except when out plinking rabbits for meat. I make my own projectiles and load with great care making sure the cartridge goes into the chamber straight and not butchered on the way in. This site is for accurate extra long range shooting so do every thing to make humane kills I shudder when I read stories about following blood trails till exhausted and gave up. The one shot kill zones are about 8* in diameter so a perfectly made cartridge is required, plus all the wind, light, mirage and ability to read the grass and tree movements along the way. If you are not confident a one shot kill can't be made then then don't make the shot but better go to the range learn to shoot.

More variables in the answers than I expected. I single load more than not, style of rifle, and hunt dictate a bit. Detachable magazines are useful, not all my rifles have them. I haven't felt limited, or endangered carrying a Ruger No. 1., likely need to get out more. Bear country is handgun country keep it close. Hard to tuck a rifle under a pillow.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.