How many 30 calibers do I really need?

So, actually reading your question and realizing that you really want to build the PRC to be relatively light hunting rifle, use your Proof barrel, get a titanium action, possibly a Mesa carbon stock and a March or Vortex LHT scope. I sounds like cost is not a real concern so a Terminus Kratos Lite action would likely be my choice. Three lug bolts are faster follow ups and give more bolt handle clearance especially when the hand is gloved. It will effectively replace your 300WM which you could sell and offset some of the cost. The 300 WSM is a great round with lighter (175-190 ish) bullets but it isn't the best for heavier bullets and looses velocity to the 300 WM and PRC. I say build what you really want, put a big smile on your face when your done and don't worry about it. If you are looking for virtual permission to build the gun, we give it!

It kinda gets worse when you get older and you realize you have a bunch of great rifles and some that will never see a hunt before you get too old or just die.On the other hand,guns seem to be holding more value than our current dollar..............

😟

I've had plans to build a new 300 PRC for a year or more now and I'm not sure what use it will have?

Right now I've got
1. A heavy 13lb tactical 308 shooting 168smk at 2815 and 175 smk at 2760 it's a fun gun to shoot all day and not get beat up or feel like you are burning a hole in the wallet.

2. A light weight 6.5lb carbon fiber barreled 300 wsm. That I haven't even shot yet but my plan is to shoot 208 eldm out of it. It's built on a Tikka so the OAL can be up to 3.3" the barrel is 22" I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 2800-2850 fps with the 208's.

3. A heavy 13lb 300 prc that is patterned after Chris Kyle's famous 338 Lapua. I built it because I thought it would be cool but I haven't shot it yet either.

4. A mid weight 9lb 300 win mag that is just an all around good hunting rifle. Shooting the 212 eldx at 2950.

I was planning to build a mid weight 300 prc for all around hunting needs to replace the 300 win mag. I've got a couple barrel options to choose from and I'm kinda stuck not knowing exactly what I want. I have a 26" sendero contour proof carbon 1-10" twist if I decided to go lighter weight. But the stock I have planned for it is an adjustable game warden and it weighs almost 3lbs. Seems like a waste to but a carbon barrel on a heavy stock. I also have a Bartlein sendero contour 1-8" twist 27" stainless barrel that I had originally intended to use. This would probably make a rifle in the 10lb range and im not sure if want that either.

My question Is really how much difference is there between a 300 PRC a 300 win mag and a 300 wsm? If I build a 300 PRC with the proof barrel I'll probably find a different stock that weighs about 2lbs and have a 7lb rifle but that's so close to the 300 wsm is there really a reason to do it? If I go with the heavier barrel and a 10lb rifle results then it will be close to the 300 win mag and what use would there be for that? Should I just sell the other rifles and build a 300 PRC that'll fill the roles of both?
As many as you can afford. Never have enough

Hands down the lighter Rifle ..
I'm stuck on the Carbon barrel Rifles right now .
Dont get me wrong I still have the heavy guns for my ELR fun days !
As we grow older we get wiser ! Ha ha I'm in the mode of lighter is smarter , hunting only !
If im on my portable wood bench and back chasing the 2 mile Quest , well it's one of my Heavy ones !
I would jump on a 300 Prc build if my name was PRC MAN ! 🤣🤣🤣

But that Rum stuff is all I Crave ! Ha ha
I'm waiting on a stock for a new to me 300 Ultra ! Very excited to send some 245 gr bergers through it !

Just build it !! You can always do another one ! Lol

Rum Man

Let's see if you're like me, you at least need a .30 M1 Carbine for range fun. A .30-40 Krag for dumping rounds in a lunch box mag, coolest magazine ever! The .300 BLK for suppressor use in rifle and pistol forms. Then a .30-30 Win lever of course, and a M788 Remington so you think it's a varmint cartridge and can load pointy bullets. The .300 Savage in a mil surp Mauser 93 bubba resurrection, and a 700 Classic. And another mil surp 1917 in .300 H&H the OG Magnum bought for $100 years ago.

I own the .308 and .30-06 as well, but gave some reasons for the others. I'm still wanting a light weight 20" .300 WSM for hunting with suppressors. The .308 calbiers are just versatile and that makes it easy to own several.

I've had plans to build a new 300 PRC for a year or more now and I'm not sure what use it will have?

Right now I've got
1. A heavy 13lb tactical 308 shooting 168smk at 2815 and 175 smk at 2760 it's a fun gun to shoot all day and not get beat up or feel like you are burning a hole in the wallet.

2. A light weight 6.5lb carbon fiber barreled 300 wsm. That I haven't even shot yet but my plan is to shoot 208 eldm out of it. It's built on a Tikka so the OAL can be up to 3.3" the barrel is 22" I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 2800-2850 fps with the 208's.

3. A heavy 13lb 300 prc that is patterned after Chris Kyle's famous 338 Lapua. I built it because I thought it would be cool but I haven't shot it yet either.

4. A mid weight 9lb 300 win mag that is just an all around good hunting rifle. Shooting the 212 eldx at 2950.

I was planning to build a mid weight 300 prc for all around hunting needs to replace the 300 win mag. I've got a couple barrel options to choose from and I'm kinda stuck not knowing exactly what I want. I have a 26" sendero contour proof carbon 1-10" twist if I decided to go lighter weight. But the stock I have planned for it is an adjustable game warden and it weighs almost 3lbs. Seems like a waste to but a carbon barrel on a heavy stock. I also have a Bartlein sendero contour 1-8" twist 27" stainless barrel that I had originally intended to use. This would probably make a rifle in the 10lb range and im not sure if want that either.

My question Is really how much difference is there between a 300 PRC a 300 win mag and a 300 wsm? If I build a 300 PRC with the proof barrel I'll probably find a different stock that weighs about 2lbs and have a 7lb rifle but that's so close to the 300 wsm is there really a reason to do it? If I go with the heavier barrel and a 10lb rifle results then it will be close to the 300 win mag and what use would there be for that? Should I just sell the other rifles and build a 300 PRC that'll fill the roles of both?
uhm...was this a trick question?
Asking that on this forum?
Might as well ask how much money is too much?

I have an idea.:oops: Just build a 300 SAUM, whatever weight you want and sell the others you are not shooting at a discounted price to us less fortunate. I wanted light so I got a 300 SAUM, HS Precision Action, 16" barrel Kreiger barrel, on a McMillan single shot pistol stock, Holland break, single shot,(no extra in a mag to weight you down) and a light 3x12 Burris with Ballistic Plex and a light weight bipod. It's dead on at 200 yds and will go all the way to 500 with that scope and is very accurate. I carry it in a Black Canyon back pack with 6 rounds in a wrist band.😁.
Kidding aside, it's not what you need but what you want if you can afford another toy.
Mike

My 30's I have, have been the result of 5+ decades of evolving hunting/competition. I started with a Model 70 30-06 what followed was a series of 30-30, 300 Savage, 308, 300H&H, 300WM. I like them all for their intended use, and think I'm pretty well done adding 30 cal rifles. Beyond the 300WM for my LR/ELR shooting and hunting seems like just another pretty face in the crowd.IMO

Go shoot the rifles you haven't shot, before you decide that you have a gap that needs filled. Learn from those before building another. Do you like light rifles?how long of a barrel is too long for you? Too short? How much recoil can you manage in a rifle of a certain weight? Having 3 rifles built with the same mindset or period of time is a hell of an investment to be unsure about.

Right now I've got

Because you can and will always wonder if you don't. Build the 7# and the 10#. Problem solved.