How long should it take??

One problem I have is I'm about 60 miles away. Can"t just go in any day. Because of the distance our trips to Missoula ( where the smith is ) are every two to three weeks. Guess I need to find a dependable smith I can ship to. If it's not ready next time I go to town I will pick it up. There has to be some one dependable I can ship to. Will need to do a little research.

I have a gunsmith who I have been using for years. He is very dependable and reasonable with his prices. He's in Plains, Montana, about an hour's drive from Missoula where your gunsmith is located. He's getting on in years, however he still makes his estimated delivery times. Dennis Olson is his name, his work is impeccable, and......either his wife or he will answer the phone and/or return phone calls. For me personally I would have asked for an estimate on delivery/turnaround time on the work. And.....if it were my rifle and I was unhappy with the turnaround time, I would call the gunsmith and tell him when you were coming to pick your rifle up and to have it ready when you arrive. Six months seems like a long time to get a set of sights, that were already provided, to be installed on a gun. I do not know what the conversation was between you and this gunsmith, however.............it is "ALWAYS" a good practice to ask for an estimated turnaround time with any work that is being done on a rifle or anything else.

This seems quite excessive for the job. Unless he originally stated that it would take him this long, or he has been met with some kind of understandable mishap causing the delay. I'd get the rifle back and find another gunsmith.

I have a gunsmith who I have been using for years. He is very dependable and reasonable with his prices. He's in Plains, Montana, about an hour's drive from Missoula where your gunsmith is located. He's getting on in years, however he still makes his estimated delivery times. Dennis Olson is his name, his work is impeccable, and......either his wife or he will answer the phone and/or return phone calls. For me personally I would have asked for an estimate on delivery/turnaround time on the work. And.....if it were my rifle and I was unhappy with the turnaround time, I would call the gunsmith and tell him when you were coming to pick your rifle up and to have it ready when you arrive. Six months seems like a long time to get a set of sights, that were already provided, to be installed on a gun. I do not know what the conversation was between you and this gunsmith, however.............it is "ALWAYS" a good practice to ask for an estimated turnaround time with any work that is being done on a rifle or anything else.
I work part time as an apprentice with Olson in Plains, unless it is a full custom rifle, our turn times are generally fairly quick and we do whatever we can to meet our prescribed dates regardless of the scope of work.

My local gun store had my rifle for six months to do a re-barrel after five months I asked every week when will it be done he said he would get it next week he would get it next week after hearing that four times making it six months I told him to give me my rifle back
You have the patience of a Saint! Seems to me that folks are seriously missing something here.....like asking first..WHEN WILL IT BE DONE...before dropping it off!

From the experience I've had I learned to always ask about turn around time. And what ever my work request was "Are you proficient at the task at hand". Had a set back done and after fire forming brass discovered the new chamber was cut at an angle. After that experience I won't be reluctant to ask anything in the the future. Just my thoughts…

I took a Win. 70 into a gunsmith this last July 7th ( 2021 ) . Wanting a front sight & rear sight installed. I supplied the sights. NECG banded front & screw on ( one hole ) rear sight. As yet , still not done . Is this reality or ridicules ?https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=4685
Small businessmen often are craftsmen rather than businessmen. Old adage, "Squeaky wheel gets the grease." Other wheels may be squeaking more than you. Your own patience may be the root cause of your need for patience. Contact shop for latest update, and advise that if not done by a specific date, that you will have to pick it up as you need it. If shop is interested in doing the work, they will. Otherwise you know they are not very interested, and need to go elsewhere. Down side is if you move on, you move to the end of another smith's line. I like to manage expectations to a mutually agreed outcome. I always ask for a specific "to be completed by date" when dropping off a rifle....and get it in writing. If you don't have it it writing, you don't have it. If not done by agreed date, I pick it up and move on. If we can't agree upon that at drop off, I don't leave rifle. Managing a situation is our own responsibility.

You have the patience of a Saint! Seems to me that folks are seriously missing something here.....like asking first..WHEN WILL IT BE DONE...before dropping it off!
You know he re barreled a rifle for a friend of mine and I got it back in three days so I know what he can do if he wants to

It sounds like the smith is overwhelmed. I went to work for one who had a backlog of 6-8 months. I took over most of the bench work, and he is now down to 2-4 weeks, barring delays of incoming parts needed. There are others who are out well over a year on rifle builds/machine work.
fwiw:
It is always a good rule to ask when dropping off: "when do you think it will be ready?", setting expectations. It is just as important to follow up, to let them know you are interested in them keeping their word. You may find that they are having an issue, but "have not had time to call". When you do call, ask when a good time would be to check back.
We encourage communication both ways, and work hard to manage our customer's expectations.