How long should it take??

You didn't ask your local smith (you said you dropped it off) about time frame/backlog, at all?
You haven't contacted him since (what's his response)?

I don't recall ever having a customer that didn't ask "when do you think you'll have it done?"

My local gun store had my rifle for six months to do a re-barrel after five months I asked every week when will it be done he said he would get it next week he would get it next week after hearing that four times making it six months I told him to give me my rifle back

I bought the sights from NECG & supplied them to this shop. . I have inquired three times now, & have been told each time , it's on the smith's work bench. I believe I have been passed over for more lucrative jobs. When I took it in originally, I was told, at least a month. For sure will not use this establishment again , & for sure go out of my way to not recommenced it to another in need of work. It seems to me , basic courtesy would be to contact me every month or so & give a realistic up date.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking- what did they quote you for the work, and what is the extent (if it's soldered on, rifle will need to be refinished).

Just a WAG, banded sights aren't the simplest to install- if they lowballed the work they're putting it off for profitable jobs.
Just go pick it up- and take/send it elsewhere.

I took a Win. 70 into a gunsmith this last July 7th ( 2021 ) . Wanting a front sight & rear sight installed. I supplied the sights. NECG banded front & screw on ( one hole ) rear sight. As yet , still not done . Is this reality or ridicules ?https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=4685
That seems like a long time. I had one go over 6 months. There were some personal issues involved. I was ok to wait, even though it killed me to wait. It turned out great and taught me a little patience.

Just a WAG, banded sights aren't the simplest to install- if they lowballed the work they're putting it off for profitable jobs.
That's interesting. What makes them so hard? I'm interested. I just had 2 installed. I'm not sure how they were installed.

One problem I have is I'm about 60 miles away. Can"t just go in any day. Because of the distance our trips to Missoula ( where the smith is ) are every two to three weeks. Guess I need to find a dependable smith I can ship to. If it's not ready next time I go to town I will pick it up. There has to be some one dependable I can ship to. Will need to do a little research.

One problem I have is I'm about 60 miles away. Can"t just go in any day. Because of the distance our trips to Missoula ( where the smith is ) are every two to three weeks. Guess I need to find a dependable smith I can ship to. If it's not ready next time I go to town I will pick it up. There has to be some one dependable I can ship to. Will need to do a little research.
I feel your pain. rather disappointing when you get the runaround like this. I`m sure there must be many good smiths in MT. Google a few, and make some calls. Or start a thread here asking about quality smiths in MT. I had DE "Defensive Edge" True an action, cut it for a 4" mag box, add a side bolt release, re barrel, and install a muzzle brake for me. 14 day turnaround including shipping to and from. My .02