How long do you hold onto one?

I own and use my first 22 and my first centerfire rifle. I have a few that will never leave and those are all sentimental value, I have a few that if someone wanted them I would sell them but I really don't look for someone to take them, I have a few that no one wants not even me LOL and those I loan to kids at youth hunts or neighbors etc. Not that they are bad but they don't interest me or anyone else looking to buy. I am done done with rack grade commodity rifles too, I don't enjoy load development and I have 'fixed' enough rifles with bedding and crown work etc that I am satisfied that I can get all out of them that they offer so no need to do that anymore. I would say almost anything coming my way will be semi-custom or full custom from now on.

This is a very interesting topic with interesting perspectives from the LRH members. I started what I consider an upgrade approach a few years ago. I let several factory rifles go and looked for new rifles to fill a perceived need. If I don't think a particular gun is interesting and gets limited use, it needs to go to make room for something that makes me smile. I started down the full custom route at the end of last year. This has been a very fun, albeit expensive and long process. The only issue is once I get my hands on the completed custom, there is a strong possibility my interest in the existing rifles will wane. This will probably start me down the next fun and expensive project.

I have kept rifles longer than spouses. Well, only have had two spouses (still with the second one). Let's see:
Rem 700 30-06 62 years
Rem 700 7mm mag 51 years
Four 22LRs 46 years
Rem 700 243 43 years
Sporterized Enfield 303 British 43 years

However, hand guns are an entirely different story.

I've always just decided to let a couple go when they don't get used
This is usually the reason I part ways. After purchasing something new the other just sits in the safe and I hate to see it not getting used. Although I do have a few safe queens that my wife can sell after I'm gone cause I won't sell them.

I sold a beautiful JM 336 in .35 Remington and a 1983 Savage 110V and after those two screwups I swore off selling. I may change them up with stocks and barrels, but the actions stay, right down to my four digit SN Remington 700. It's spelled gun ho not gung ho!

I have kept rifles longer than spouses. Well, only have had two spouses (still with the second one). Let's see:
Rem 700 30-06 62 years
Rem 700 7mm mag 51 years
Four 22LRs 46 years
Rem 700 243 43 years
Sporterized Enfield 303 British 43 years

However, hand guns are an entirely different story.
I hear ya on keeping the toys for a long time. One of my best rifles (Browning lh ss 300win) has been with me longer than my wife. The wife and I had our 20th this year. I'm 44... I'll probably shoot it out and re-barrel it since I've had it nearly 25 years. Same thing with my sx2 shotgun- I've had it since before the wife.
I gave up on trading when I realized the new ones weren't any better than the old ones; I'll only think of trading now when it's seriously worn or useless to me... A couple of youth guns might go down the river in the next couple years.

I haven't sold any in over 30 years. My first centerfire rifle was a Parker-Hale 1200 7mm Mag that I bought in HS. Second was a Rem 788 in .243. Sold both. Have kept all since. I have a rifle case built into my trophy room Phoenix house - a Whitworth 375 and custom stocked 243 have never been shot, along with a few high end shotguns. I have a walk-in vault in CO that stores 16 long arms - should have made it two rows.

I have a Rem700 SAUM I never use anymore and a Rem 700 7STW that I haven't fired in years. Could sell them but don't need the cash and don't want the hassle of shipping them anywhere.

I tend to not sell my bolt rifles. I have had my favorite 280 AI over 35 years and it will never be sold. It is on its 4th barrel and 4th stock. Broke 2 of the stocks with hard falls. My others have been customized with new stocks or barrels, but that is over. I may build 1 more for a target rig on a custom action. I have been thinking on this for a couple of years and may just get it started this year.

The only gun I really regret selling/trading was a Remington 1100 12 gauge I bought when I was 15. I had it for 40 years. It stayed in my safe after I bought a Benelli SBE, but I had a so many memories with that shotgun. Traded it for a new Ruger MKIII Hunter. Oh well, I still have the memories.