How old are you? How old do you FEEL?

Wait till you get older you young fellows under 60. You have a surprise coming when you sit in the toilet to drop the kids at the pool and your dingleberries touch the water, SURPRISE , SURPRISE , SURPRISE.

🤣 You almost made my coffee come out of my nose. Hilarious

Last edited:
58 yo, 6', 238lbs. For those of you that think 40 is rough, you probably won't like 50. My meaning is, it took more exercise to keep the weight off. Hurts a little more in the knees lower back after a few days of shingling a roof. Other than that, 50s is good . Not quite 60 yet and fortunately I do feel pretty darn good. Several injuries, broken bones and made it thru cancer once, I do believe someone upstairs thinks it's worth keeping me around. Not sure exactly why that is but I'll take it. Work out 6 days a week so I'm guessing thats the answer for staying healthy and feeling good. Whatever it is, I'm gonna keep doing what I do. Don't run as much as I did but will pick that up again soon. Retired a couple years ago and live in the rural country so I think that contributes to some better health also. Much less stress for sure. I'd recommend exercise for those over 40 and continue thru your life God willing. It's real medicine for the body. Doesn't have to be weight resistance but some form of 30-60 minutes of exercise per day 3-4 days a week.

Last edited:
Time to update this thread:
I think I am still in my 40s until I realize I am 83 years old.
Today's schedule was to speed walk two miles, load 100 rounds of 45ACP, vacuum and shampoo downstairs carpets before noon.
Now I am struggling to stay awake after eating some of my home made smoked salmon on toasted bagel with creamed cheese and capers along with a glass of wine to numb the sore muscles. Reminding me I am NOT in my 40s. LOL

I'm 45 years old, 5'-10" and 220 lbs. Was feeling GREAT during my first 10 years of law enforcement which included being a member of the Bicycle Patrol Unit, S.W.A.T team and finally a K-9 handler. Then I got married, had a couple kids and now I feel like I'm DEFINITELY on the "back 9" with a severity that depends on the amount of "Honey-do's" and "Daddy-do's" I have to perform.....
Had to revive this thread for an update. Fellas, I've discovered the Holy Grail for us guys who feel like their get up and go...got up and went...and DID NOT come back. Here's the rub:
So, I went to a local Dr (former ER trauma surgeon) who now specializes in 'Lifestyle Medicine'. I told him that basically I feel run down all the time despite getting a solid 8 hours sleep pretty much every night, just want to sit in a chair when I'm home and have pretty much lost my 'drive' for nearly everything. They drew several samples of blood and sent it off to their labs in Chicago for analysis. A week later I was given the results. Low Testosterone! WHAT?? I'm only 45, fellas. On a scale (300-1200 being 'normal range') I was at 290 for Total Testosterone. On a scale (120-565 being 'normal range') my Free Testosterone...which is what does ALL the work (your get up and go) was at 88. So, after discussing a few options with the Doc I chose a program where Testosterone pellets are surgically implanted (in your backside) every 3 months. I also have to supplement with an estrogen blocker AND HCG to keep my body's own production of Testosterone going.....what little it's producing. Well, it's been 2 weeks now and I'm really starting to feel GREAT! Energy is coming back, mental clarity/focus is sharper, I find myself looking for things to do.....AND the wife is definitely happier :D. Fellas, I would recommend going and getting your Testosterone levels checked. It may just be the reason you feel like you're slowing down WAY before you really should.
So, 3 years (48 yoa now) since my initial post I've lost @ 35 lbs since and still have plenty of energy, but my "check engine" light(s) are definitely starting to come on. Have begun epidural injections for my lower back (bulged discs w/nerve impingement) and now wearing glasses on-duty because I can no longer read people's ID's 😂🤣 and also in the mornings when I "check in" here….everything's a blur if I don't. My labs (every 3 months) are "in the green" so all things considered I'm doing pretty well, I reckon. 👍

Last edited:
It's tough to stay regimented to working out regularly but I've done it my whole life. Certainly not bragging as I could use to lose a few pounds even keeping fairly fit. One thing I always thought was that keeping this regiment, I'd stay in shape enough to keep hunting from trees, climbing up mountains and hauling out game from remote places. That part I was right about and am glad I kept with the program. That said, cancer got me at 53 and made life bad for a short time. I beat it and recovered but the thing about keeping fit is, cancer could care less. It doesn't discriminate. Whether your in top shape or bottom shape, it will get everyone it can. Cancer free for 7 years running and fingers crossed. I think it will return so I'm expecting it. Just hope I can win the next round. I'll be working out and staying in the best shape I can until then.

Guys, post your size if you don't mind. Doing an unofficial survey on big guys vs. average size men.
Six-three, 212lbs. Sixty-one years old.
Average. You others are runts!😁
They say :"Pain is weakness leaving the body". If that's the case, I have a truckload of weakness leaving... every day! 🥴
Until the past two years I never even considered myself "matoor" but am starting to feel it a bit now. The guys I hunt with are 15-30 yrs my junior. I can leave them in the dust on flat ground or foothills . At 10000', not happening.
It happens. It beats the alternative.
Over three decades of military coupled with the "invinsible mindset" seem to be paying the dues lately.

Last edited:
My Dad used to say "Getting old is not for the faint of heart". He had various health issues, and made it to 91. He was taking an awful lot of pills toward the end and using a walker the last few years. I guess I'm pretty lucky so far. No significant health issues or injuries, other than a fingertip that got shot off with a SBR. I take 1 pill for chloresterol and one for acid reflux. 70, 5'10 (probably 5'9" now), about 175, 34" pants, which includes an extra inch for the appendix carry CCW except when sleeping. Wife says I act 14. Retired from IT world in 2015, busier than ever, can't imagine how I had time for a JOB before. My Dad said the same thing, as have numerous other retired people I've talked to.

I'm more calm, patient, and mature than in my younger days, but otherwise I feel like the same person. I do have to remind myself to take things careful and easy and not get hurt. I have a wonderful wife who takes great care of me and makes sure I eat very well.

The most age-related physical issue I have is shooting iron sights sure isn't what it used to be, and if I squat down, getting back up is a surprising amount of effort. And I get tired more easily. If I'm logging, a few hours is about it and I'm worn out. If I'm doing heavy brush cutting with a body-mount brush saw, one tank (about 1-1.5 hour) is enough for one day for me now. Muscles, like pulling on a big wrench, aren't what they were, but cheater pipes are always available for more torque. I know I should do regular exercise, but I'm always too busy. The way I ride a dirt bike or snowmobile is a pretty good workout. My muscles are also more susceptible to aching if I overwork.

My sleep patterns have gotten worse - I always was a night owl. Gradually, over the last couple years, I've devolved from going to bed at 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 5, into being up most of the night, often until dawn, then sleep to noon or so, maybe as late as 1 or 2 in the afternoon, generally a nap right after supper for 15 minutes to 2 hours, usually about 30-40 minuets, depending on how tired I am, then I'm re-energized until dawn again. Occasionally, a few times a month, if it's a beautiful day and it's much past dawn and I'm still up, I say screw it and keep going into the next day, although I pay for it in the afternoon and have to take a long nap of several hours. Basically, I just follow what my body is telling me and sleep when it tells me and up the rest of the time.

I cut and split all our firewood from our property, and all our (northern NH) heat comes from that. I deliberately move a bit slower and try to pace myself when shoveling snow and doing other heavy work. I still climb up on the 2-1/2 story roof after every snowstorm to clean the snow off the solar panels. I suppose eventually I won't be able to.