How is Swarovski's warranty? - -Z5 needs repair

Smoak352

I went to the range today and did not have very good luck with my scope. I started out at 100 yards and when I looked through the scope is was a little blurry. I have a Z5 5x25, so I went to adjust the parallax and nothing happened. The parallax was not as smooth to turn and would not go into focus. My $90 spotting scope looked better than the Swarovski.

Anyway, the rifle shot absolutely terrible. I'm talking a 4" group at 100 yards. I am assuming it has to do with the scope as the parallax is completely non-functional.

I have heard good things about Swarovski's warranty, but we will see what they say on Monday. I have a trip planned next weekend so this is not good timing.

Are you certain the focus problem was with the focus (parallax) knob, and not the eyepiece diopter ring? Was the reticle in focus?

I recommend that you take the scope off and inspect for mounting problems. Look for ring marks, especially near the front ring mount. Rotate the focus mechanism. Is it smoother with the scope off? Can you focus a 100 yd target? If the scope seems to be fine, it's probably a problem with misaligned rings causing stress to the focus mechanism, which is located forward of the turrets.

It's hard to see how a focus problem can cause a 4" group at 100 yds, especially if the magnification was set above 12X. At what target range does the scope have a clear focus?

The problem is definitely with the parallax knob.

I considered your advice and took the scope off. Now the parallax works fine. I put the scope back on and torqued to Talley's specs (20 in.lbs). Now the parallax doesn't work again!

I took the scope off and then tightened back to 15inlbs, not the parallax doesn't work again. The tightest I can go is 10lbs without the parallax not working.

Should I send to Swarovski?

I went to the range today and did not have very good luck with my scope. I started out at 100 yards and when I looked through the scope is was a little blurry. I have a Z5 5x25, so I went to adjust the parallax and nothing happened. The parallax was not as smooth to turn and would not go into focus. My $90 spotting scope looked better than the Swarovski.

Anyway, the rifle shot absolutely terrible. I'm talking a 4" group at 100 yards. I am assuming it has to do with the scope as the parallax is completely non-functional.

I have heard good things about Swarovski's warranty, but we will see what they say on Monday. I have a trip planned next weekend so this is not good timing.

They did a great job on my 15 yr old binos. I called first to get a authorization number and an estimated time of repair. (one month)

They came back -as new- in about 3 weeks, even the slightly worn outer green rubber was replaced.

Jack

If the problem is with the mounts, sending the scope to Swarovski may not solve the problem.

I suspect that the front ring is not aligned to the rear ring. Are their any ring marks on the tube? Look carefully for any evidence of a dent from the edge of the ring.

What type of rings and bases do you have? Can you move the front ring forward? You may need to lap the rings. Can you do that?

I just re-read your last post. If you have Tally one piece rings, you definitely need to lap them. The saddles are extruded, not machined, and they are not round. The rings are probably pinching the tube around the focus mechanism. If the rings are a bit misaligned that makes it even worse.

If the problem is with the mounts, sending the scope to Swarovski may not solve the problem.

I suspect that the front ring is not aligned to the rear ring. Are their any ring marks on the tube? Look carefully for any evidence of a dent from the edge of the ring.

What type of rings and bases do you have? Can you move the front ring forward? You may need to lap the rings. Can you do that?

Yes Talley one piece. I took the scope off and there are slight marks in the tube, not dents but just where the paint came off. Is this bad? I have this on other scopes as well.

I don't think I can move the front ring forward.

Should I mount the scope in another gun/mounts and see if the problem goes away?

Lapping the scope rings is easy with the right equipment and knowledge. Perhaps Bruce can provide you with an informational link to that information.

If some surface finish has been removed, the rings aren't fitting your scope tube very well, whether you can see deformation on the scope tube or not.

So I took the scope off and put it on another rifle and it worked fine, so obviously it is the rings.

I had a scope lapping kit from years ago. I lapped the rings and now everything works. I torqued rings to 20 in lbs and everything is fine. So Bruce was correct, the rings definitely needed to be lapped/aligned.

Will be making my next purchase from him.

Yes Talley one piece. I took the scope off and there are slight marks in the tube, not dents but just where the paint came off. Is this bad? I have this on other scopes as well. I don't think I can move the front ring forward. Should I mount the scope in another gun/mounts and see if the problem goes away?
Minor scratches in the anodize are not a problem. As Paul said, larger gouges are an indication that the rings are not aligned or are not cylindrical. See this link for more info:
http://www.highpoweroptics.com/ring-selection-guide-i-91.html

If the tube is not dented, then lapping the Talley rings will very likely fix the problem. 1" lapping bars are not expensive. Can you borrow one? 1" drill rod and valve lapping compound works too. Be sure to lap the saddles and caps completely. The Tally saddles are oblong and there is a trough at the bottom that takes a while to lap out.

Switching to fully machined rings would work just as well, but would cost a lot more. I would lap the rings you have. Once they are lapped, Talley one piece rings work very well.

...I had a scope lapping kit from years ago. I lapped the rings and now everything works. I torqued rings to 20 in lbs and everything is fine. So Bruce was correct, the rings definitely needed to be lapped/aligned. Will be making my next purchase from him.

I took a while finishing my last post and you already posted the end of the story! I'm glad you were able to solve the problem without spending any money or jeopardizing your hunting trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.