How hard is it to learn to shoot a LH rifle if you are right handed?

bruinbro

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to putting rounds further than 300 yards (intentionally). There is a rifle I am interested in for the caliber, parts and price but it is left handed. The rifle is a custom 30-378 Weatherby, Shilen 26 in bbl on a custom LH Mathieu action.

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

DSC00234.jpg

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruinbro

ETA: I forgot to add that I am right eye dominant.

bruinbro,
My advice is to stick with right handed rifle especially when it recoils as good as that one. If you still insist on learing to shoot left handed is easy:
1) If you know how to shoot right handed, you alredy know how to shoot left handed you just don't have the experience.
2) From my personal experience shooting handguns, it is even possible to become a better shot, or at least as good of a shot left handed (this is for a right handed person) I found that to be true for my self. Some years ago I developed a pain in my right elbow and it was hurting too much to shoot my Glock 34 in tactical shootings, out of frustration I decided to start learnig with my left hand... not bad... my flinching was way less...
3) Just do what yo alredy know to do, but following the same logic using your left side.

Remember, you'll be starting anew. Need to practice and get experience using the muscles that you're not used to use. Personally instead of starting anew, I would rather refine those muscles that I already have some experience with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good Luck!

bruinbro,
The right eye dominant thing is only a problem when you shoot with both eyes opened. Even so, I don't believe it's a problem when using a riflescope.
Nice rifle as a matter of fact!
I just noticed the rifle has a muzzle break.

Bruinbro,

I would broadly agree with Eaglet's points; In a world dominated by right-handed rifles …and as a left-dominant-eye left-handed shot (who is actually right handed!) I have addressed the problem you are facing many times -but in reverse.

My bottom-line up-front answer would be: don't do it –particularly because the rifle does not have an ambidextrous stock.

Prone/ kneeling/sitting supported you'll have no real problems off your 'wrong shoulder'after a bit of practice; your problem will come if you have to follow-up with a walking/standing shot……you've spent your whole life shotgunning/snap-shooting from your right shoulder, your muscle memory will rapidly cycle a right-handed bolt. I suspect that anything from the left shoulder will feel totally cack-handed.

I'd recommend going to a clay range and trying a few shots from your left shoulder…that will probably make your decision for you!

If you simply 'must have it' restock it with an ambidextrous stock and fire it right handed.

[as a footnote; My current 308 is right-handed. Prone or sitting I fire it from my right shoulder without problem (actually I think my trigger control is slightly better because of my right-handedness), however, when I walk-in on an animal I switch it to my left shoulder in readiness for an effective snap shot should the animal suddenly get up…the rifle has an ambidextrous stock……however, a fast bolt-cycle with the 15lb rifle with the bolt now on the 'wrong side' would be 'challenging']

From my own recent experience.

I would recommend switching sides only if dictated by the ol' body, as in when parts start going south. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ol macualar degeneration hit the right eye, which doesn't see straight any longer. Cross hairs look like snakes and shifts from time to time. Plus things are dimmer on that side.

Once I figured it was the eye and not the scope I was immedately a left handed shooter. I gave my thumbhole stocked custom rifle to my son and bought a left handed rifle. If the thumbhole could have been easily converted to facilitate shooting left handed I would have done that but....

I wouldn't consider shifting just because the rifle is a sweet looking little thing. Too much thinking like that could cause one to end up being married to the wrong woman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As a PS: if you get the rifle, dump those rings. You may well end up with a muzzle brake on it, which would be reasonable. But those rings won't cut it w/a brake. Another recent personal experience. I think Burris signatures will fit on those bases. FWIW.

Also right eye dominate don't make a squat as far as shifting sides. My right eye is still dominant tho crooked...

Ya gotta do whatcha gotta do to keep shootin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Regards

Re: How hard is it to learn to shoot a LH rifle if you are right hande

Well if it gives you much trouble get a right hand stock and put on it then shoot right handed. Did this with a LH Rem 700 2506 and love the fact I can shoot from the rest with out takin the finger off the trigger to work the bolt. Btw it is a very nice piece of artillery how much were they asking for it? I have my own 30/378 on a Sako and love both the cal and gun. Good luck!!

Re: How hard is it to learn to shoot a LH rifle if you are right hande

[ QUOTE ]
Well if it gives you much trouble get a right hand stock and put on it then shoot right handed. Did this with a LH Rem 700 2506 and love the fact I can shoot from the rest with out takin the finger off the trigger to work the bolt. Btw it is a very nice piece of artillery how much were they asking for it? I have my own 30/378 on a Sako and love both the cal and gun. Good luck!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Here is the link to the gun sale Weatherby link

Bruinbro

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts