How far will you shoot at an animal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the same, and agree completely with you. We've both -participated on this site for over 10 years and experienced this dynamic, and perhaps it will continue for another 10 years. But....perhaps we can re-define the conversation pertaining to ethics and use it to to our advantage. When said and done, the term "ethics" is basically defined as customs and beliefs of a "particular" group of people. We actually have our own definition of ethics, but we haven't defined and communicated it. Ethics as we receive the term from skeptics is "always" discussed in the context of "how far game is shot". Why don't we re-define it to our custom and belief. These custom and beliefs are adhering to good practices when shooting game at long range". These practices could include shooting skills, proper rifle and equipment, loads capable of effectively dispatching game, and game recovery skills. If one adopts these practices, they represent our customs and beliefs, and he(or she) is an Ethical long range hunter. Range is simply a variable We ARE ethical and this is our code of ethics. Bow hunting went through a similar transformation when I first started, more the 50 years ago. If a person starts talking about ethics in the context of distance, instead of saying "we don't discuss ethics on this site", the response is, let us explain the meaning of ethics on this site. With this answer we have denounced their perception of ethics, and rationally explained ours. When we simply state"we don't discuss ethics" the individual either leaves or argues being unconvinced. If we explain our ethics, he leaves or stays, maybe realizing he drives slow because he doesn't have the right car and the skills to drive it.....and may even decide he wants to learn. If you can't change someone's mind, change their perception.
I'm not sure if all this all makes sense or not, but thought I would throw it out there. I also realize it may violate the basic rule that "we don't discuss" ethics and will fully understand if this post gets canned.
Well said, I also think people confuse viewpoint with ethics.
Does not matter what distance(x) if a deer dies at (400) yards or (1400) in the same manner, both are ethical if the shot if performed well. But people like to push their viewpoint on others.
Being rural I experience this all the time from some of the urban community, basically everything I do is unethical lol.
No, should not be banned. Penned in a way more articulate way than I am capable. BUT, still buttburned about the Turkey thing.
I agree, what really burns me up is the op asked how far we shoot then casts judgement.

OrangeDust: I'm not saying shooting a turkey in a roost is ethical. Never did, never will. I said it was LEGAL. At least it is here in PA. You seem to be getting hung up on this and I don't know why. We all have our reasons for doing things. I'll practice shooting steel and varmints as far as I can see them but I will personally hold my distance on animals to what I consider (for myself) to be my maximum. Also, I never cast judgement on anyone. I was just stating my opinion. I know what I am capable of.

OrangeDust: I'm not saying shooting a turkey in a roost is ethical. Never did, never will. I said it was LEGAL. At least it is here in PA. You seem to be getting hung up on this and I don't know why. We all have our reasons for doing things. I'll practice shooting steel and varmints as far as I can see them but I will personally hold my distance on animals to what I consider (for myself) to be my maximum. Also, I never cast judgement on anyone. I was just stating my opinion. I know what I am capable of.
I know you didn't. You said it was legal, and compared it to what we do, implying they are the same. Get caught shooting a turkey on a roost around here and you are guaranteed a ticket for something. It will be expensive too. Pretty sure there are a lot more deer wounded and lost under 100yds than over 800. I'd even bet the percentages of wounded and lost are less to go along with it. I have no problem with whatever distance anyone shoots at an animal as long as they and their equipment are up to the shot. Like Eastwood famously said, "A mans got to know his limitations".

A technique I used for many years prior to hunting season is on my weekly range trips I take my hunting rifle and I run the gauntlet with it. Starting at 300 and working out in 100 yd increments shooting one shot at each distance at a foam paper plate. Once I miss I record that data and I pack it up and try again next week. It kills me when people go out and simply shoot at giant steel targets and then they think "they are ready" for some LR hunting. And to add to the realism I will shoot off of my eberlestock pack. For most of us when we go hunting we don't have three other experienced shooters to give feedback on wind hold or as some shows do someone actually telling them the corrections they need to make, that is funny! That is about as bad as shooting a roosted turkey no doubt!

Also asking a question like this is ludacris anyhow, no ones answer has anything to do with how far you can shoot an animal.
BINGO! I'm hitting the unwatch button now. No idea what the OP's intentions were but I feel baited. I'm going back to the carbon barrel thread. Much more interesting.

I was just curious is all definitely not baiting or trying to start and argument. Everyone has their own capability and their own opinion. What I was trying to do is strive for a goal. With what I have now my max is about 300 yards on game. Not far considering how far some of you shoot. For me to go beyond this distance shooting at big game with the equipment I have would not be practical. Even with the rifle I have on order I wouldn't stretch it more than about 500 yards. And is pretty much exactly what a lot of other posters have said. But that is me and my equipment. Just a couple weeks ago I was clanging 8" and 6" steel plates at 300 yards every time with my AR-10 off a rest. If I plan on going to these extended ranges for hunting it will cost me quite a few more $$ to get the equipment that is capable of doing it. But all I want right now is a bunch of practice on steel and I'll be satisfied hearing that audible ping when I get a hit.

Hey brother just keep up what u are doing, trigger time is the only way to go down this road for sure. I used to think 300 yds was a long way lol now 300 and 400 is 22 LR territory. The farther u practice the better u get at all the ranges below that. I shoot my bow at 100 yds almost religiously. Now when I shoot 40 it's nothing, kinda same thing for rifles. Again we are talking about steel and paper not animals! Keep banging steel brother u will be there before u know it!

And btw u ain't got to work to hard cause u bought yourself a creedmoor! U know hornady don't even put powder in their 6.5 creedmoor match bullets! They fill the primer pocket up with dreams and fill the case up about to the shoulder/body junction with the best marketing they can buy and top it off with a 140 grains of holy water that has been freeze dried! Welcome to the club!

(Quote Remmy700: And btw u ain't got to work to hard cause u bought yourself a creedmoor! U know hornady don't even put powder in their 6.5 creedmoor match bullets! They fill the primer pocket up with dreams and fill the case up about to the shoulder/body junction with the best marketing they can buy and top it off with a 140 grains of holy water that has been freeze dried! Welcome to the club! End Quote)
That is funny. Thanks for the chuckle. I knew the 6.5CM was magical. I just didn't know how they did it! I too shoot my bows out to 70 yards cause that's as far as I can where I shoot. Makes those 20-30 shots in the woods seem like chip shots. Never in a million years would I have shot and an animal at 30 yards with my recurve many many moons ago before the age of compounds.

How far will I shoot at game? Who cares? Anybody who has been hunting long enough has wounded an animal and felt like crap about it. Bottom line: it's part of the game. My philosophy: Try to minimize it, get over it and try to do better the next time. Virtue signaling about how far anybody should shoot at anything is a waste of time. Do your homework with your rig, be reasonable about your capabilities and hunt. Theoretically, I'm good out to 400. But if a heavy 8 with a 22" spread walks out into the soy-bean field at 550, I'm doping up and taking the shot. If it doesn't work out, so be it.
These animals deserve respect but there are far weightier issues to be concerned with in life IMHO.

How far will I shoot at game? Who cares? Anybody who has been hunting long enough has wounded an animal and felt like crap about it. Bottom line: it's part of the game. My philosophy: Try to minimize it, get over it and try to do better the next time. Virtue signaling about how far anybody should shoot at anything is a waste of time. Do your homework with your rig, be reasonable about your capabilities and hunt. Theoretically, I'm good out to 400. But if a heavy 8 with a 22" spread walks out into the soy-bean field at 550, I'm doping up and taking the shot. If it doesn't work out, so be it.
These animals deserve respect but there are far weightier issues to be concerned with in life IMHO.
Uh oh u going to stir up the hornets nest with that one brother!

Wow YZ-80 that is about the worse post I've ever seen regarding long range hunting! THAT is the reason people object to long range shooting ng at game. Shooting at an animal beyond your capability and hoping for the best is NOT showing respect for the animal or the sport. Knowing you limitations and sticking to them is what should be followed by everyone. I couldn't care less if a person shoots a game animal at 1200 yards as long as he is confident in the shot. That is well beyond my personal limitations as well as my equipment.. I don't care if it was a 200" whitetail or 400" elk I won't shoot farther than about 450 yards right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.