How do YOU afford this...

Thanks everyone,this is all good information.

I want to clarify, I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining or feel like I should have things that I don't. I have a wonderful life, I'm blessed to have the people and opportunities that I have, I want for nothing and know how fortunate I am. I truly am, very fortunate.

I did forget to ask, how many of you have whittled down all of your other hobbies to just shooting/hunting?

I still ride Dirtbikes and mountain bikes when I can (both somewhat expensive). With regards to hunting, that might as well be a separate hobby for me, given how much time and energy I devote to that. Long range is mostly just a side hobby for when I can't hunt. I really don't shoot at critters very long, i'd prefer to shoot steel or hone my groups.
I gave up hunting. 5-7 full guided hunts a yr for yrs. Gave up playing golf (2hdcp) 3-4 country clubs. I shoot now. Haven't shot an animal since 2004. Do it all while you can. When all the rest is gone, shooting will still be there. Spend every second you can with your kids. You can lose them too.

I had to wait three years to afford the basics- rifle, adequate optic, reloading basics, etc. I pinched pennies from overtime and bonuses until I could get it all at once.
Then I got my wife into it and things got MUCH easier- not only could I justify spending an entire 3K-4K tax return on ELR equipment, the wife was the primary enabler.
I am about as middle class rural guy as you can get for mining coal, father of three, late twenty-low thirty'ish guy.

Let me summarize:

Most people: drives a newer car (2010 or newer), has a green, well maintained lawn, owns some type of boat-ATV-MX, has a smart phone, pays for cable. Buys expensive whole foods. Only has a OEM rem 700 with a cheapo Simmons, wrapped in a couple of tube socks behind the bedroom door.

me: drives a smoking 1996 backfiring beater with liability only. has weeds instead of grass because water bill. Goes without TV, has a flip phone. Eats pot pies and TV dinners, my "snowmobile" is a pair of snowshoes and a kids sled with a rope tied to it. Has $7000 rifle in the safe. (The kids are well provided for, but I endure suffering to afford my habitual shooting needs.)

I guess It went from a hobby to a serious passion and my financial dedication reflects that over the years. As I got better, I justified the spending with less self-directed scrutiny. (edited to fix typo's and poor word choices)

Last edited:
We all have various levels of engagement in this sport, and we are all from different walks of life with different expendable incomes.

My Wife and I have "good" jobs, 2 young children that have a lot of interests/activities (cha-ch$ng). We manage our money well and have an eye for the future.

I was reading a thread recently about various mountain scopes, and some of you fellers listed off 6-8 scopes that you currently have in circulation that I would absolutely drool over.

I've lusted over the "kit" required to do long-range hunting any justice for years and years. In addition to a small safe filled with hand-me-downs and affordable factory guns, I have 1 custom rifle that was given to me as a thank you for coaching their sons lacrosse team for 3 years (fortunately it came with a nice scope too - VX6 6-24x52). I shoot as often as I can, I but in reality I wish I could shoot 3-4 times more than I do .... it's the cost of ammo/components that prevents me from going hog wild. I also would like to get a light caliber semi custom to get my kids in on the fun (but we will make do with our ruger American predator just fine.

I stand no chance of "keeping up with the Jones'" but I'd sure be curious to know....

Kids / no kids
Dollars invested in custom rifles and attached scopes

This should be interesting!
I'm sure most of on here have at one point or another have been where you are now. Go to Euro optics.com and look up a tikka t3x Hunter in 6.5x55 Swede-retails for $726.00 put on a Burris Veracity 4-20x50FFP for $700 from Sport optics.com. Decent set of mounts $1500.00 should do it. I love my 6.5x55 Swede. Good long range gun or go with a .270. Tikka.

If you want custom, for you, guns.....build your own with a barrel nut. I even look on Ebay for deals on barrels, stocks, scopes, etc.
I read ALOT of reviews on optics , lesser companies optics. No way I could afford 2k for a scope. Value for the dollar is what I pay attention to. Paid 575 for the scope on my " custom rig " , athlon midas tac. Even with my poor old man eyes, its crisp and clear all the way to 24x. Oh, my custom rig is a remage I put together. Had a 700 adl syn 308. Didnt have money to buy a barrel vise/wrench, so i cut a relief around the barrel/ lug interface with a cut off wheel and unscrewed the factory barrel , no problem. Bought a 6.5 creed remage barrel off Ebay for 340, and got the guy to throw in a barrel nut, bought a Boyd's feather weight stock for cheap and pillar bedded/glass bedded it myself. Shoots .2s and .3s . Got less in the whole rig than the price of the average recommended scope on here. I even have a backup remage barrel sitting in the closet, a 23" no.4 kreiger with a match chamber in 6.5 creed with a brand new looking bore..paid 200 bucks for it on Ebay.

I always look for good components, buy once, cry once and always look for good deals. I have a custom 7mm Allen Magnum that Kirby Allen put together for me, Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x50 scope. Swaro rangefinder, spotting scope, and binoculars. Bought the Spotting scope and accessories for it from a gent that was selling it here. Bought the rangefinder and binocs as shot show specials from Cameraland. I don't go out to eat, don't have credit card debt, have a mortgage. I maintain my vehicles, and drive between 30K and 50K per year and keep them until the maintenance gets to be too expensive - I'm talking putting on over 400K before maintenance gets anywhere too expensive. I believe in being very preventative in my maintenance schedule and don't have breakdowns on the road. I also look at what gets good mileage and that saves a lot of $$ in fuel costs too - I run diesels because most of my driving is on the highway or back country roads. The VW diesel is getting around 50 mpg. The truck is getting close to 20.

I have a friend that eats out a LOT, and one day we discussed what he's spending on buying food already cooked and served to him or fast food for lunch. He's spending between $300 and $400 per week doing that. So, x52 weeks per year and it really adds up. He never seems to have the extra $$ to buy much of anything related to hunting/fishing.

I don't buy fancy clothes, and whenever I pay for something I pay cash or immediately send $$ to the CC company. They complain about getting more than 1 payment a month. Too bad, I'm not paying interest.

Save $$ when you can and watch the pennies. I was shooting Trap/Skeet/Sporting Clays a LOT - I'd buy a ton of shot per year and that wouldn't last the whole 12 months. I'm shooting maybe 100 rounds a month now, and that $$ has migrated to rifle shooting - I can shoot to 350 yds easily, and 400 yds in the back of the house if I move the shooting bench closer to the house.

I'm 43 I think, don't really care or keep track Lol, but my wife does somewhat. Married for 15 years and have a 2 year old son, we placed the order for the kid late in life Lol. They are both a blessing and I am one extremely lucky guy.

Been on the RTO/Retail industry for 19 years now and still at it.

As mentioned I have a 2 yr old for which I'm already setting up my Ruger 10/22 and a H&R .22 bolt action as well, but I'll probably start him with one if those little rascal rifles, and I am getting him a 223 Rem bolt action for him in the next year or so.

Full custom rifles? None right now or maybe ever, I rather use that money on ammo. All are factory rifles that by reloading they shoot half MOA or better with a couple loads and under 1 MOA with other loads.

My Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag will be semi custom I guess. I have a McMillan fiberglass stock that I will bed for it and adding the bottom metal plate so I am converting it from an ADL to a BDL.

For Hunting a Vortex Crossfire II is the most expensive glass I own, I shoot up to 500 yards and it works great for me.

For competition shooting my brother and I have 3 Leupold VX 3i scopes that we use for Smallbore Silhouette and the High Power Silhouette, two are 6.5-20's and one is a custom 18x40. These we're acquired a long time ago by my Dad and they still work great.

Shooting is very expensive so for bullets and brass I look for good deals and buy bulk, for .22 LR buy the bricks and on sale. Powder get the big jugs and save money that way as well.

This is my hobby so it's not that bad. My wife also shoots and hunts so all good there.

Growing up I spent tons of time with my dad shoting, hunting, fishing, camping, and also reloading, that's how I learned and spent quality time with my dad. You can have lots of quality time with your kids with this sport, I mean, what kid doesn't want to shoot a gun, rifle or bow.

Wow,great thread.
To see names I have seen over the years give information on guns and lives is humbling.
I'm old kids are grown so no big income here.
I'm not a rifle collector but a rifle accumulator mostly.
I have sold or traded rifles and shotguns and handguns that were far better than the ones I own now.No way to figure the value in my rifles and scopes and reloading gear.
Raising a family is the most enjoyable experience you will ever have and when you get older you will yearn for the days you have right now!I do every day.
I have figured out life,you build memories in your youth to relive in your older years.
Make good memories now you will be proud of when you reach the older years.
Rifles/scopes are nice but they won't hug you and tell you they love you.
Just my 2 cents worth,
Old Rooster

Now this is something I can get behind, and really where my priorities lie. I love to escape to the mountains each fall, but the mutton busting, the tangled fishing lines, the first archery shoots, the dress-up and tea parties, that's where it's at.

My Wife and I keep a leather bound journal for each of our kids, to write about their adventures and our thoughts and hopes for them. We will give to them when the leave our home for their first Big adventure, whatever that may be.

We all have various levels of engagement in this sport, and we are all from different walks of life with different expendable incomes.

My Wife and I have "good" jobs, 2 young children that have a lot of interests/activities (cha-ch$ng). We manage our money well and have an eye for the future.

I was reading a thread recently about various mountain scopes, and some of you fellers listed off 6-8 scopes that you currently have in circulation that I would absolutely drool over.

I've lusted over the "kit" required to do long-range hunting any justice for years and years. In addition to a small safe filled with hand-me-downs and affordable factory guns, I have 1 custom rifle that was given to me as a thank you for coaching their sons lacrosse team for 3 years (fortunately it came with a nice scope too - VX6 6-24x52). I shoot as often as I can, I but in reality I wish I could shoot 3-4 times more than I do .... it's the cost of ammo/components that prevents me from going hog wild. I also would like to get a light caliber semi custom to get my kids in on the fun (but we will make do with our ruger American predator just fine.

I stand no chance of "keeping up with the Jones'" but I'd sure be curious to know....

Kids / no kids

I liked your POST, and the description of your family, and the info you said of your likes, wants, and aspirations to indulge deeper into our Passion; both yourself and with your children. I myself am 61 and been into rifles, handloading and long Range shooting for well over 50 years. My father got me into it, and ever since it's been the Love of my Life! I own many, many rifles. Mostly factory's that I've acquired as much as possible. I have 9 custom builds. Complete from reamers to everything that's required for loading the finest ammo possible. Custom made dies. Guages and gadgets of every kind made. Shelves and shelves of bullets. Cases and cases of primers. Pounds and kegs of powder dominate an entire room in my basement. Several high end scopes by various makers. Rangefinder and ballistic calculators. Binoculars and spotting scopes. 4 safes packed FULL of rare and Extremly valuable rifles and handguns. Not to mention all the blinds, stands, rests and bags of various types. I literally have a lifetime and a fortune invested in this love of mine and everything required to put that 1 round EXACTLY where I want it into my targets no matter what range it stands at!
I've scrimped and saved, hustled and worked countless hours of overtime to acquire what I've obtained. All while raising a family and meeting my fatherly, husband and head of household duties. I've endured YEARS of EAR BEATINGS from my wife about the money I've spent and invested into shooting. Worked countless hours of Overtime and side jobs. But I always put my family's needs above mine. I'm THANKFUL and PROUD of what I was able to accomplish in shooting, but NEVER SATISFIED! It's an endless obsession son! PERFECTION is unobtainable from my efforts and experience! But I'll tell you this, I'm **** CLOSE! And I've enjoyed each and every round I fired, from beginning to end, like a 16 year old healthy, hormone raged school boy in a WHORE HOUSE FULL OF WILLING FEMALES!
NO ONE can afford to get or have everything that's required for extreme long Range shooting consistantly. Its AQUIRED over a LIFETIME! You just keep on keeping on the way you are. Take good care of yourself, wife and children. Shoot as often as you can. And someday YOU WILL GET THERE!

I always look for good components, buy once, cry once and always look for good deals.

I may have inserted some hyperbole in my commentary but my wife and I are budgeteers for sure and share a like minded approach to your post. Buy once, cry once is absolutely true. I cant tell you how many times I have scolded myself for buying knockoffs and paying for it later in wasted ammo, time, etc. So over the years I made a soft promise to myself that if I am going to do it, I put quality above anything else I buy.

Kids / no kids

Air Tanker Captain for Wildland Fire
NO KIDS!
$20K plus on 2 PRS rigs and a hunting rig. (Thanks for reminding me)

Kids / no kids

66, retried as far as gov. is concerned and kids. Allows been in business for myself. As a general rule I don't have toys. I come from a practical way of life. You work hard and reap the benefits. I bought a wood splitter at the age of 60 and my first atv the other week to save on gas, use it around my place. The only thing custom around here is what I build to raise and grow food. Keep close to your family and the things that really matter to you.

I do my best to plan for it now, for years I didn't. I would find what I thought where good deals, if I could scrape together enough, I'd get it, after many years I had large collection aproaching 40 guns, many hadn't been used for months or years, I decided to sell most of them, looking at what I actually shoot in competition etc... and started trying to plan for my dream builds, about one a year, sat down and calculated what I spend a year on ammo, reloading components, upgrading equipment, new barrels, new build range and club memberships, etc... sat down with the spousal unit, talked about the annual budget, taxes, bills, insurance etc.... and decided on what was a reasonable ammount and added it to the budget just like an insurance or car payment, anything I get selling outdated or unused equipment gets added back into the fund. Then I go down the wish list and determine what I can afford, want most, and have to save up for. Now I have probably less than eight guns that are specialized dream builds, I use them all regularly, and am much happier.

Self employed
No children yet.

Like many, I live simply. Both my personal vehicles are diesels with low fuel consumption. Affordable transportation is key. They are also old (1990's) which makes them easy and inexpensive to maintain. Perhaps most importantly, they are paid for.

I look to fur cheques to fund gun stuff. Being self-employed, I've found it valuable to reinvest earnings into respective income streams in order to grow. It's pretty simple, but as a result my progression with firearms has been slow and incremental. Generally I upgrade one item every year, often in the spring. Try to spend half on components/ammo and half on an equipment upgrade. Stock one year, barrel/chambering/install another year, rangefinder another year... Etc etc

I've bought items new in the past, but now I watch the classifieds and try to buy used where possible. Generally endeavour to get what I paid, or sometimes a little more when it comes time to upgrade.

More can be had with less when one;

- Avoids paying interest
- Avoids paying retail
- Avoids paying tax

Buying second hand takes care of all 3.

images.jpg

Budget wisely...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts